Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your cc company reps ask this?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Do your cc company reps ask this?

Maybe I'm being overprotective, but BBVA asks for a lot of info. One rep actually asked me for my password. IDK if she meant "security word", but very odd. Recently, on one call, I was asked for my credit card number, ss#, expiration date, and CCV. Umm LOL. Is that normal? I don't call cc companies a lot and even when I do, they've never asked me for my full card or ss#, let alone the CCV.

Another thing that I've found annoying is that their portal lists a "Customer ID" that they claim is for our protection when we call certain 3rd parties that work with them. But, it's just a scramble of the credit card number---And, at least on my card, they don't scramble the entire #---they scramble sets of numbers. For instance, the first 4 of my card # are last 4 digits of my Customer ID. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do your cc company reps ask this?

Pretty normal and nothing unusual 🤷‍♂️

As long as you're initiating the call to the number on the back of the card, your statement, correspondence from the lender, etc., some lenders ask for extra verification data to authenticate the caller.  Not all of them ask for the extras, but a variety of them do.  It also depends on the reason for the call as well.

Message 2 of 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

+1 Fin

To follow up on a specific comment by the OP,  occasionally a CSR will in fact ask for the "password" when what they are really asking for is the secret word that you created when setting up your profile associated with your login account.  They aren't looking for your login information, nor should you IMO disclose your login information to a CSR.

The ones that do refer to the secret word/phrase as the "password" probably could benefit from some additional training but that's a different topic.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 4
cr101
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reassurance, @FinStar and @coldfusion. I was seriously thinking that some of the reps were up to something. LOL. Didn't know that this was normal.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.