cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a credit bureau (Experian) have to update your personal information upon request with proof?

tag
justmindy
Established Member

Does a credit bureau (Experian) have to update your personal information upon request with proof?

I sent in a request to remove old employers, my former married name and some housekeeping on addresses. Transunion just requested a bit more info. Haven't heard from Equifax yet. Experian said flat out they aren't changing it. Can they do that?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does a credit bureau (Experian) have to update your personal information upon request with proof

If the info on EX is accurate, there's not much you can do. EX can be a real PITA.

Message 2 of 6
justmindy
Established Member

Re: Does a credit bureau (Experian) have to update your personal information upon request with proof

~~sigh~~

Ok thank you.

Message 3 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

how weird!  i can't imagine why they would refuse.  i had no problems when i requested that they remove a ton of old & erroneous addresses & name variations.

Message 4 of 6
justmindy
Established Member

Summary: basically they said I need to contact my creditors. I guess they expect me to write each and every creditor I have, including collection agencies, and tell them all what my correct info is and to correct. I'm sure all the bad creditors would be more than happy to oblige my request. Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

My experience was that if a current creditor was reporting that information, they would not remove it.  If the address and/or name variation was no longer associated with a current creditor they deleted it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.