cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being an Au as a minor really help?

tag
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Does being an Au as a minor really help?

My 16 year old has been an Au on most of my cc since last year since she doesnt uet have a cs is it really helping her ?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does being an Au as a minor really help?

Have you tried pulling a 3 credit report to see if shes in the system? Thats the 1st step. Unsure what the age is for credit reporting?

Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Sure. Smiley Happy

Some lenders disregard AUs. But some will give her credit for being one. She should be able to get an unsecured card from a good bank, possibly a Discover or Capital One Platinum.

Message 3 of 8
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Shes only 16 atm im wondering next year when she turns 18 will she have good credit
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That will depend on how you manage the account. If it has 100% payment history and low utilization, then it’s very likely it will be beneficial to her score. If it’s high usage or has derogs, then no, it’ll cause more harm than good.
Message 5 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MeN5 wrote:
Shes only 16 atm im wondering next year when she turns 18 will she have good credit

If she is AU on your Synch cards, no

If she's AU on cards with low utilization, yes. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just wondering on what side of the Planet you live, where you can go from 16 to 18 in the next year!

Message 7 of 8
taggl00
Valued Member

well its june...if her birthday is in sept, she will be 17 this year,,,,,next year in sept she will be 18......(Mod edit - please keep things FSR, thanks)

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just wondering on what side of the Planet you live, where you can go from 16 to 18 in the next year!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.