Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does credit union pull credit report?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Does credit union pull credit report?

I had membership with four different credit union before,  two app online, two in branch, all tripped-HPed my credit report. Why do they do this? They're not extending any credit to me afterall. Does this happen a lot?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Does credit union pull credit report?

This seems to be common practice for most CUs.

However, the same pull usually can be used for credit app(s), as long as its within 30 or 60 days, depending on the CU's policies.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 6
ElCamino
Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

I had membership with four different credit union before,  two app online, two in branch, all tripped-HPed my credit report. Why do they do this? They're not extending any credit to me afterall. Does this happen a lot?

Credit Unions will pull your CRs because they tend to be particular about their membership. Some Credit Unions are much more difficult to get into than others. PenFed is the one most touted as difficult to get into, and myself and a few others have even had trouble getting membership to DCU (YMMV for DCU).

Although PenFed will use the original HP up to a point for any credit products after you become a member.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 3 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

Perhaps they want to develop a closer relationship with their members and have to pull credit reports to understand their members' financial situations and needs better?

Message 4 of 6
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Perhaps they want to develop a closer relationship with their members and have to pull credit reports to understand their members' financial situations and needs better?

Yep and all 3 reports are not always the same so they want to see the differences.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 5 of 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

Credit Unions will pull your CRs because they tend to be particular about their membership. Some Credit Unions are much more difficult to get into than others. PenFed is the one most touted as difficult to get into, and myself and a few others have even had trouble getting membership to DCU (YMMV for DCU).

Although PenFed will use the original HP up to a point for any credit products after you become a member.

Penfed isn't that hard to get into, they are just hard to get credit from. 

Most CU's will pull your credit but pulling more than one report is rare.  For the most part they tend to pull EQ.  As mentioned most will use that pull for credit products also, with DCU being an exception.  You can bet they are pulling your Chex report as well.  Where did you apply for only membership that triple pulled you?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.