cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does creditor have to report AU account identically?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does creditor have to report AU account identically?

What I mean is this.  Say you are an AU on an account and the primary card holder makes some poor decisions and gets some late payments etc. that impact your profile as it's a joint account.  If you as the AU attempt to get the negative information deleted, does the creditor HAVE to remove it from both credit reports or can they submit a request to the reporting agencies to remove the information for just the AU?  Hopefully that makes sense.  A similar question, if the AU is able to get the trade line deleted would it definitely get deleted from the primary card holder as well or would it possibly remain?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does creditor have to report AU account identically?

I think the extent of it is that the AU can generally request to be removed as the AU directly from the issuer (and the whole thing, positive and negative, gets removed from his report), but that other than that the reporting on the AU's side is a carbon copy pretty much of the reporting on the primary account holder's report (other than it indicates AU instead of individual under responsibility). 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hummm, that's interesting.  Are AU's ever successful in getting removed as an AU and getting a trade line deleted?  I've never pursued this angle before and perhaps it's one I could consider.  The account is closed/PIF if that matters.  It was littered with major derogs when the primary stopped paying.  I as the AU went ahead and paid the account in full, closing it out.  Of course all of the negative information remains on MY credit report.  Any advice here?

Message 3 of 8
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hummm, that's interesting.  Are AU's ever successful in getting removed as an AU and getting a trade line deleted?  I've never pursued this angle before and perhaps it's one I could consider.  The account is closed/PIF if that matters.  It was littered with major derogs when the primary stopped paying.  I as the AU went ahead and paid the account in full, closing it out.  Of course all of the negative information remains on MY credit report.  Any advice here?

Just dispute it as "Not financially responsible." It will be deleted. I've done it.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heavyjay wrote:

Just dispute it as "Not financially responsible." It will be deleted. I've done it.

I just sent you a PM for a little more info on this.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 8
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@heavyjay wrote:

Heavyjay, would you mind sending a message to me about exactly how you did this.  I have a family member in exactly the same situation and I would like to help them if I can.  TIA.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 6 of 8
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@heavyjay wrote:

Heavyjay, would you mind sending a message to me about exactly how you did this.  I have a family member in exactly the same situation and I would like to help them if I can.  TIA.

PM sent.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 7 of 8
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the PM, Heavyjay. 

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.