cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does opening/closing checkins or savings affect anything?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does opening/closing checkins or savings affect anything?

I guess when you apply for checking or saving account they do a soft pull, so it does not really affect your credit score. However, I dont know if generally opening and closing checkings account can be seen as something bad from creditors or somebody who is eveluating your credit report?

I travel alot, so every 6-7 months, I find a better deal for where to have a checking account. Currently, I have 2 checkings and 1 saving and I want to apply for another checking account and probably close on of the others. Do you think that if I "play around" with this too much, it can be a "minus" in me record? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does opening/closing checkins or savings affect anything?

Some banks do pull your credit, especially credit unions.  I have a tendancy to shop around for the best interest rate on savings accounts and it hasn't hurt me at all. Though I leave my check account alone because i don't keep a lot of money in it and the fees usually associated with checking accounts that yield interest are usually not worth it to me.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last July I opened a checking account at compass Bank and they did four hard pulls on my CR.  Vicki
Message 3 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

That's exorbitant!

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Last July I opened a checking account at compass Bank and they did four hard pulls on my CR.  Vicki

No way would I stand for that. IMO 1 is one too many especially if you didn't ask for overdraft protection.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my wife and I combined checking with BofA, they pulled my credit. I also had my credit pulled with BB&T. However, I still have one checking, two savings and an HSA account with BB&T and I don't see negative reporting there. I don't know how mortgage lenders might look at that though when they ask for bank account info.
Message 6 of 11
BlessedHappiness
New Contributor

BofA made a hard pull when they opened my checking account. Crazy though as I did not apply for any credit.
Message 7 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

The catch about opening checking and savings accounts is that you have to be careful of Chexsystems. I don't understand all the ins and outs of it, but it is to checking and savings accounts what Equifax/Experian/TransUnion are to credit cards.

When you apply for a checking account and/or savings account, some banks and credit unions check your Chexsystems report. I've read that, generally speaking, 3 or more Chexsystems inquiries within a 90 day period is considered a red flag; plus, Chexsystems itself flags your file as "suspicious" if there are more than x-number of inquiries are on your file during a certain span of time

Furthermore, I *think* that sometimes banks and credit unions periodically check Chexsystems and may take adverse action against your preexisting checking/savings account for anything that looks like a red flag in your Chexsystems file.

While negative information stays on your Chexsystems report for either five or six years, I don't know how long non-negative information stays on. And I'm not sure right now how long Chexsystems inquiries (from applying for checking/savings .. and sometimes even CDs) stay on your Chexsystems report.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-10-2009 06:33 AM
Message 8 of 11
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

ChexSystems' website: link

You're entitled to one free annual Chexsystems report: link
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-10-2009 06:46 AM
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between my wife and I, I have probably opened up 20-25 checking/savings/brokerage/online accounts over the las 18mths and have never had a problem.  Sign-up bonuses are a great way to earn extra money.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.