cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does paying a charged off account balance help your credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does paying a charged off account balance help your credit score?

My ex left me with over $5,000 on a credit card that was in my name, but only he ever used it. The account wound up as a charge off because he refused to pay it, and I couldn't afford to pay it. Fast forward a year or two, and I was finally able to pay it off. But now it's still showing up as a negative/charge off account on my credit report. Will this change, will it stay this way, did I just spend $5,000 for nothing? 

3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does paying a charged off account balance help your credit score?

Welcome @Anonymous 

Yes and no. Since its paid it will no longer count against you aggregate or overall revolving credit %'s. The CO in itself will still sting. When was the DoFD or fall off date. You can find that on your real reports from annualcreditreport.

Message 2 of 4
moto4man
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My ex left me with over $5,000 on a credit card that was in my name, but only he ever used it. The account wound up as a charge off because he refused to pay it, and I couldn't afford to pay it. Fast forward a year or two, and I was finally able to pay it off. But now it's still showing up as a negative/charge off account on my credit report. Will this change, will it stay this way, did I just spend $5,000 for nothing? 

Are all 3 of the CRA showing the balance paid in full?  Or at least the ones it was being reported to.  Has it been long enough since you've paid for your scores to reflect the payment?

Starting Score: 547EX
Current Score: 694EX 689EQ 696TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, unfortunately, yes, it'll remain on your reports as a paid charge off until 7 years from DOFD (Date of First Delinquency, or when the account first went delinquent and never became current again) have elapsed. But at least if it's paid, it won't be updating monthly and it won't hurt your utilization as a maxed out account.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.