Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does "Pre-approval" mean anything?

tag
renov8r
Established Member

Does "Pre-approval" mean anything?

I get a ton of credit card offers every week.  Am I more likely to be approved for one of these than applying for a card online - or are they just meaningless?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Does "Pre-approval" mean anything?

Pre- Approvals are no guarantee. 
Message 2 of 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Preapproval means you have not opted out of preapprovals.

Other than that, they are just more to recycle
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 13
renov8r
Established Member

I know that they are not guarantees - I was wondering if there is any reason at all to consider solicited offers over non-solicited...
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

renov8r wrote:
I know that they are not guarantees - I was wondering if there is any reason at all to consider solicited offers over non-solicited...

Other than the fact that they already have your name and address pre-printed, probably not.
Message 5 of 13
Boswd
Valued Contributor

renov8r wrote:

for the most part you can stilly apply on line with the specila web address and the offer code.  That would be alot quicker.  
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am curious about preapprovals also--I was wondering does someone with good credit automatically get more preapproval offerings? I notice as my credit improves I am getting more offers in the mail

Are getting more preapprovals in the mail clue that your score is going upward?
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

rifleman wrote:
I am curious about preapprovals also--I was wondering does someone with good credit automatically get more preapproval offerings? I notice as my credit improves I am getting more offers in the mail

Are getting more preapprovals in the mail clue that your score is going upward?

Not necessarily.  It just means that you are getting on more mailing lists.  And those lists get sold.  And so on.  The process between a company buying lists and then sending out its promos is several months, so your score changes in the interim have no effect on their distribution.  People who recently filed BK get offers.  But you will get better quality offers as your credit improves -- perhaps that's what's happening. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Congrats you are pre approved to apply. Means nothing.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My UTL got lower, no more CAP1 and WAMU pre-approvals. Now I am getting AMEX pre somethings... And before my UTL was really bad, all I got was CAP1s. When I started paying off I started getting WAMUs.

Could just be that CAP1 got the list first, WAMU second, AMEX third. But it's nice to think maybe my score has something to do with it?

By the way... I was denied for everything. Then WAMU sent several more apps. I applied for half of them, denied. Smiley Sad But their just shallow. I am a good credit risk inside! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-20-2007 04:51 PM
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.