cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double inquiry to rent??

New Contributor

Double inquiry to rent??

So I'm applying for an apartment and of course they pulled my credit report. I got the alert on experian as soon as it happened, but four days later I got another hard pull from the same inquirer. I didn't send in two applications and i'm not applying for two different apartments. They are the only ones i've sent an application for. Can they do a double inquiry?

Update: I filed a dispute with Experian and I'm happy to say they removed the second inquiry for me

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Double inquiry to rent??

If i'm not mistaken, multiple inquiries for property rentals within any 45-day (FICO) or 14-day (VantageScore 3) period are treated as a single inquiry on your credit reports.

Message 2 of 8
Super Contributor

Can an apartment rental inquiry be coded as such?

Message 3 of 8
New Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

If i'm not mistaken, multiple inquiries for property rentals within any 45-day (FICO) or 14-day (VantageScore 3) period are treated as a single inquiry on your credit reports.

Yes, I've read that before. I thought about just letting it slide since I won't be applying for anything else for at least a year but Its just annoying seeing an extra hard inquiry on my report that shouldn't be there in my opinion.

Message 4 of 8
New Contributor

@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Can an apartment rental inquiry be coded as such?

Yes, when I check on the Experian app the two inquiries are under a section called Tenant Screeners

Message 5 of 8
Senior Contributor

I would still call them and ask nicely Why did you pull my credit report twice? It's not like a mortgage where they pull your credit at the beginning of the app and then again right before closing.

Message 6 of 8
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

I think the number is less than 45 days and that the exact number of days probably varies between FICO versions.

I don't have a problem with more than one pull. But the logical course of action would be soft pulls for second and subsequent inquiries from the same landlord.

It's definitely a concern because some lenders ignore the purpose of inquiries. A member recently had four or five Comenity cards CLD'ed from four-digit limits to around $200 each. The reason was five inquires in the past 30 days. All of them were for an auto loan.

The members participating in the thread asked all the appropriate questions about the OP's profile. The auto inquiries were all that was "wrong." There were no baddies on the OP's report. The Comenity cards were used every month and paid in full. And overall utilization was in the 2% range.

Message 7 of 8
Established Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I don't have a problem with more than one pull. But the logical course of action would be soft pulls for second and subsequent inquiries from the same landlord.

It's definitely a concern because some lenders ignore the purpose of inquiries. A member recently had four or five Comenity cards CLD'ed from four-digit limits to around $200 each. The reason was five inquires in the past 30 days. All of them were for an auto loan.

Which is why I believe landlords and property managers should banned from hard pulls. Even if one can justify hard pulls for housing, a double hard pull is just abusing the system.

Current

Goal Cards

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.