Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double reporting on my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double reporting on my credit?

Hello folks, I have a few more collections that I am dealing with however I noticed something yesterday. My fingerhut account still shows in my accounts tab as a closed account with a 0 balance, With it being there it also has like 6 lates. I was wondering if this should be there considering all of my other collections only showed in my collections tab not my accounts tab as well?

Details 
Account #
636992XXXXXXXXXX
Original Creditor
-
Company Sold
-
Account Type
INSTALLMENT
Date Opened
May 2015
Account Status
Closed
Payment Status
Charge-off
Status Updated
Mar 2016
Usage
-
Balance
$0
Balance Updated
Mar 21, 2016
Original Balance
-
Monthly Payment
$0
Past Due Amount
$0
Highest Balance
-
Terms
6 Months
Responsibility
Individual
Your Statement
-
Comments
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double reporting on my credit?

In addition that account has the big lates on it such as 60,90 Day and FPs which is failed to pay, I also consolidated my school loans but the old ones are still on as a closed account with FPS all over. score is now 613 and I have another collection that i just did a PFD on and will be doing a PFD on one more next check which will leave me with two left and roughly a total of  1400 dollars in debt vs my old total of 5k+

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is totally proper for both a collection and the original creditor account upon which the collection is based to both show in your credit report.

That is not improper double reporting of the same thing.

The creditor reports history on your performance under your account agreement with them, including current status, payment history profile, current balance, etc., while a debt collector reports the fact that they acquired collection authority to attempt collection on the debt, either by assignment from the original creditor, or by their purchase of the debt.

In the posted example, the creditor has sold the delinquent debt to a debt collector, and thus the current balance is updated to show $0 balance owed to the creditor.  The debt collector will then show the current debt balance under their reported collection.

You can no longer make any payment of the debt to the original creditor, including making a PFD offer to them, as you no longer have any debt obligation to the creditor.  However, record of your history on the original creditor account is not required to be deleted  based on sale or assignment of collection authority to a debt collector.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is there anything I can do to get this removed? If I got a pfd with the collection it still wouldn't be removed which is a pain. What would I do in this case find ceo email? Goodwill
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i were able to get LVNV to actually accept a PFD ( I know this is unlikely) Will that also cause the chargeoff from fingerhut to be removed? This is really hurting my credit as it has several lates on there and failed to pays

Message 5 of 6
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If i were able to get LVNV to actually accept a PFD ( I know this is unlikely) Will that also cause the chargeoff from fingerhut to be removed? This is really hurting my credit as it has several lates on there and failed to pays

No.  The debt buyer has no control over the OC’s entry.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.