cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside to 1 bureau reporting a closed revolver as open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downside to 1 bureau reporting a closed revolver as open?

I paid off and closed a revolver back in Jan 2015; perfect payment history paid in full as agreed.  I noticed when pulling my reports this morning that EX and TU both show the account as closed where EQ shows it as still open and they are showing "ok" payments monthly for the last year and a half since.

Does this matter?  Should I contact EQ and/or the creditor in this situation to make sure the account is reported as being closed?  Interestingly, though, is that my overall credit limit across all 3 bureaus is identical; I would think that if this account was truly being seen as "open" that my overall credit limit on EQ would be higher than the other 2 bureaus by the amount of this revolving account.  That part I don't really get. 

Anyway any benefits or drawbacks to doing nothing and/or getting the account adjusted to "closed" as should be the case?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downside to 1 bureau reporting a closed revolver as open?

My view is leave it be. It's not hurting anything. Disputing may work fine, but there's a possibilty of the creditor deleting the TL outright instead, which would hurt your aoaa.

Message 2 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Dispute isn't the only option.  Start with the creditor to verify that they're properly reporting.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway any benefits or drawbacks to doing nothing and/or getting the account adjusted to "closed" as should be the case?

Get your report correct versus trying to rely on possible benefit.

Message 3 of 6
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

EQ probably considers the account inactive.  Inactive accounts are counted for util or total CL.  With the account showing open, EQ is less likely to delete the account after 10 years.  If it is an account you would like to have deleted, you can try disputing.  I would recommend just leaving it alone.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this on CCT?
If so, I have 2 closed accounts showing up as open on EQ, but it's only when I view the trade lines on the CCT interface. These accounts have been closed since 2010 and 2014 and they report correctly as closed on my full EQ report.
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Positive history is good history.

I'd virtually never delete it frankly (trivial exception if it was brand spanking new and a serious detriment to my AAOA, maybe, I don't make that frivolous of apps though).

If I have a bank that keeps reporting a card as open if it's listed as current/paid I'd leave it alone absolutely.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.