Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside to opting out?

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Downside to opting out?

I'm considering opting out but unsure if I'm missing any downside to this... Will this in any way hamper new applications for credit or create problems for my current creditors in doing SP's or CLI's? Just wondering... Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Downside to opting out?

@Marcos8 wrote:

I'm considering opting out but unsure if I'm missing any downside to this... Will this in any way hamper new applications for credit or create problems for my current creditors in doing SP's or CLI's? Just wondering... Thanks

It will not hamper you in anyway other than not filling your mailbox

Opting in can supply info as to who's SP'ing your CR's which to some people is valuable info

Your current lenders will still be able to access your account (permissible permission)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you are either seeking new credit or rebuilding, receipt of so-called promotional offers for credit are an indication that you have at least met certain predetermined criteria, which can be useful. 

In order to obtain a list of consumers from a CRA, the creditor must provide certain ciriteria to the CRA and make a "firm offer" for credit to those on the list.

A "firm offer for credit" is defined under FCRA 603(l).

Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

The only down side I've found if you try to pre quality on sites you can't get any results because they can't sp your file.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
Marcos8
Established Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

The only down side I've found if you try to pre quality on sites you can't get any results because they can't sp your file.

So it prevents SP's from anyone you don't have an open account with? How does opting out affect SP sites like Credit Karma and Credit Sesame since they use a SP?

Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Marcos8 wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

So it prevents SP's from anyone you don't have an open account with? How does opting out affect SP sites like Credit Karma and Credit Sesame since they use a SP?

you can still take advantage of using sites like CS and CK. You are pulling on your CR's -no problem

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Promotional offers are only one type of soft inquiry, and the only one mandated by statute as being coded as such.

If you dont have an account with a creditor or insurance underwriter and initiate a request for credit or insurance, or if you initiate a busniess transaction upon which the business has a reasonable basis to review your crediit, they have permissible purpose to obtain your entire credit report.

Those could still, at the inquiree's request, be coded as a soft inquiry.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.