Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect on Credit Report when removing yourself as Authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect on Credit Report when removing yourself as Authorized user

Hi Guys,

I have 3 Authorized user accounts on my report with an average age of 6 months. My own accounts has an average age of 2.5 years. My question is if removing myself as a user from the 3 AU accounts will help increase my average age to 2.5 years or if the AU user accounts will stay on my report as "closed accounts" thereby continuing to drag down my average age?

I found this online:

"These authorized user accounts then become part of the authorized users’ credit reports and credit scores for as long as they remain guests on the account. Once removed from a card, the account is then removed from the authorized user’s credit reports and scores, leaving no remaining trace that it was ever there." Source: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/remove-authorized-user-affect-credit-score.php

Can someone confirm what is correct?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Re: Effect on Credit Report when removing yourself as Authorized user

I had myself removed from my wife’s Credit One card and my score and AAoA went up. I added myself because at the time we only had the Discover and Summit store card, and I wanted a Visa to have to use at a few places that didn’t take Discover. There’s nothing on my file that shows I was ever there now. I did do dispute resolution to make sure Credit Kne took me off. IDK that I had to do it, but I did it just in case.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 2 of 4
wantitgone
Contributor

I was an AU on two cards with an ex and I haven't been an AU since... 2014 or 2015, but they still show up on TU and EQ, but not EX. It's strange but since my ex's history was before I was even 18, having them removed would shorten my AAoA by over 2 years on TU and EQ compared to where EX sits. That's why I've just let them be, lol, but I'm sure if I disputed them they would get removed since I'm no longer an AU.

FICO 8 on 5/31/19 ~~ EQ: 608, TU: 545, EX: 585
BK 7 DC 7/9/19
FICO 8 on 01/31/2023 ~~ EQ: 693, TU: 677, EX: 678

NFCU CLOC $1,000

Apple Card 4,500
Williams Sonoma $1,250
NFCU CashRewards $2,500
NFCU Flagship $12,100
Navy Federal Platinum $25,000
PenFed Pathfinder $12,500
Kemba CU Platinum $3,500
Amazon Store Card (Synchrony) $1500
Paypal Credit $850
Capital One QS $2,000
Capital One Spark $2,000
Overstock Store Card $2,150

AAoA: EQ - 7y9mo, TU - 7y8mo, EX - 5yr7mo (as of 01/31/2023); INQ are 2 EQ, 6 TU, and 5 EX.

New Auto Loan with NFCU (May 2022): 32k for 3.49%/60 months

My DPs: as of January 2023, I am full-time employed, 55k/year, 2 federal consolidated loans plus 3 new student loans, had perfect payment history with 0 derogs until 90 day lates prior to filing BK in March 2019.
Message 3 of 4
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

Most times you have to physically dispute the accounts off as "not yours" to get them to fall off immediately. Takes a month.

Otherwise what happens often (not always) they show as closed accounts on reports and still impact your AAoAs.

A simple dispute will get them off, works every time. As they _aren't_ yours. There's nothing to argue with.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.