Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan Financial/Peoples Bank CLI Hard Pull

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Elan Financial/Peoples Bank CLI Hard Pull

Hey guys, got myself in a little bit of a pickle and wondering what my play is here. I took out a card through my bank and its through Elan Financial. I've gotten myself into a pretty solid place since inception so I figured hey, let's try and expand some available credit to help my profile. 

Needless to say, I've tried a few times over the last month or two and have gotten declined, no big deal. I got a copy of my credit report and noticed under "inquiries" i have Elan Financial on there a few times from last year. Called in and was advised they were for CLI increases. The rep told me there is a pop up that you confirm once you request that states it will be a hard pull which I went back and forth with him on. 

I went to the site, and looks like at the very end of the CLI page it states "you authorize Elan Financial to obtain a copy of your credit report which may affect your score". 

Is this verbiage absolutely stating this will be a hard pull? Or is it up for interpretation? Will I have a chance to dispute this or am i stuck with these inquiries? I guess it's my fault for not understanding this but do you think I will have any luck getting these removed? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Elan Financial/Peoples Bank CLI Hard Pull

@jonblaze24 wrote:

I went to the site, and looks like at the very end of the CLI page it states "you authorize Elan Financial to obtain a copy of your credit report which may affect your score". 

Is this verbiage absolutely stating this will be a hard pull? Or is it up for interpretation? Will I have a chance to dispute this or am i stuck with these inquiries? I guess it's my fault for not understanding this but do you think I will have any luck getting these removed? 

The phrase I bolded and underlined leaves absolutely no doubt that at their discretion a hard pull may be taken.  If a SP were guaranteed the phrasing would have stated in one way or another that your score would not be impacted.

Attempts to dispute off the inquiries are a waste of your time and will only serve to risk annoying US Bank.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 4
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@jonblaze24 wrote:

The phrase I bolded and underlined leaves absolutely no doubt that at their discretion a hard pull may be taken.  If a SP were guaranteed the phrasing would have stated in one way or another that your score would not be impacted.

Attempts to dispute off the inquiries are a waste of your time and will only serve to risk annoying US Bank.

+1

The only thing to do is count the days until the one-year anniversary of each inquiry, and daydream about how many points you'll get back then. 

The way I protect against unexpected HPs is to keep all three reports frozen. It results in some declined CLI requests, but I'm ok with that. 

Message 3 of 4
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Is this verbiage absolutely stating this will be a hard pull? Or is it up for interpretation?  

Seems pretty clear to me.  I don't think you have any standing to get this reversed if you clicked yes to that.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.