Did you mean: 

Equifax Breach — The Emails Are A Coming

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax Breach — The Emails Are A Coming

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Raisondetre wrote:
I read on another forum site that some people were putting credit karma or other free types of credit monitoring when providing proof after this new email, their claims were then getting denied. It seems like they're forcing people to take their credit monitoring at this point, whether people like it or not.

I didn't want to take the chance on getting denied also, I opted for the credit monitoring.

Oh wow. I have CK and Experian.

I printed out my claim confirmation page to a PDF file:

eqsettle.jpg

It says "I certify I have credit monitoring", not "I certify I am PAYING for credit monitoring". I think they're basically trying a "bait & switch" here, so many people signed up for the $125 settlement that with the limited settlement fund they'll end up paying just a couple bucks for each claim. So to avoid that outcry they're trying to deny claims or con folks into taking the credit monitoring. In my opinion denying a claim for your monitoring service not being a paid service is illegal, the settlement offer and claim form said absolutely nothing about your credit monitoring service having to be a paid service. It's entirely their screw up for allowing Equifax to only offer such an insignificant settlement funds for a data breach that affected half the adult population in the country. Equifax: You break it, you pay for it.

I haven't received the email, but I claimed both the $125 + 4 hours time spent due to the breach. They seem to be targeting just the $125 cash only claims.

@CreditInspired wrote:

Good point. I didn't send any documentation, and nor did family and friends I told about the settlement. 

- As I recall you could claim up to 10 hours without documentation, I claimed only 4 and didn't provide any documentation.

Message 21 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax Breach — The Emails Are A Coming

Thanks @DaveInAZ for sharing this and I agree with you on this. I’m so annoyed at Equifax for trying to finagel out of this at the 11th hour that I’m just sick of them, and personally, I don't want them monitoring anything for me!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 22 of 37
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Equifax credit monitor or the check ?

Equifax sent me a email I need to choose cash settlement vs credit monitoring for the Equifax settlement. I already have credit karma. Opinions pls
Message 23 of 37
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax credit monitor or the check ?

@Jccflat wrote:
Equifax sent me a email I need to choose cash settlement vs credit monitoring for the Equifax settlement. I already have credit karma. Opinions pls

@Jccflat  ..If you choose cash, you'd be lucky if you get $1.00 ..after all is said and done.

Personally I am going with 4 Years of Experian 3B Monitoring. Just My $0.02 cents.

FYI Karma is "FREE" and good for Alerts and to check balances, But does NOT give you your real FICO scores.

Message 24 of 37
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Yes but I don’t think the Equifax gives the Fico score version anyway
Please correct me if I am wrong
Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jccflat, when I signed up directly with EQ, they provided VS3.0 scoring. I canceled on the spot.
Message 26 of 37
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Jccflat, when I signed up directly with EQ, they provided VS3.0 scoring. I canceled on the spot.

Which EQ service is that? I was in a 1 month trial of their Complete Premier service when they went public with the data breach and they've continued if for free for me ever since. It doesn't give you Fico or Vantage, it's a score of their own making but seems pretty close to Fico8, my TU F8 score is 731 the score EQ provides me is also 731. I don't think any EQ service gives you a Fico score, cheapskates.

I'm sticking with my cash claim whatever pennies they end up coughing up, I have enough credit monitoring.

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I honestly don’t recall. It was a general signup on the page last year sometime, and when I saw it wasn’t F08 I shut it off. I don’t need EQ VS3.0 from yet another source.
Message 28 of 37
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I honestly don’t recall. It was a general signup on the page last year sometime, and when I saw it wasn’t F08 I shut it off. I don’t need EQ VS3.0 from yet another source.

Idk why they offer and want pymt for their in-house scoring knowing Fico 8 is all that matters.  But it's Double-talk is all I can tell.

From their website:

What is the difference between the Equifax Credit Score™ and the FICO® Score?

Oct 4, 2017Knowledgebase
TITLE
What is the difference between the Equifax Credit Score™ and the FICO® Score?
URL NAME
What-is-the-difference-between-the-Equifax-Credit-Score-and-the-FICO-Score
DETAILS

Both the Equifax Credit Score and the FICO Score are general-purpose score models used to predict credit risk.  The Equifax Credit Score is a proprietary model created by Equifax.  The FICO Score is a proprietary model created by Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO) .  All Equifax consumer services and tools make use of the Equifax Credit Score unless otherwise indicated.

The Equifax Credit Score uses a numerical range of 280 to 850, where higher scores indicate lower credit risk. The FICO Score uses a numerical range of 300 to 850, where higher scores also indicate lower credit risk.

The Equifax Credit Score can be used to calculate a score for not only your Equifax credit file, but also your Experian and TransUnion credit files. This gives you the ability to compare your credit scores across all three credit reporting agencies, which can be useful in understanding your credit.

Though both score models predict similar types of risk, it is important to remember that because they were created independently by separate companies, they should not be expected to deliver identical scores.  In some cases, an Equifax Credit Score and a FICO Score calculated at the same point in time may be similar.  However, in some scenarios the scores may differ, perhaps significantly, based on how the different models calculate risk.

ATTACHMENT
OKAY! ....that really cleared it upSmiley Mad  And when I said pymt for scoring, yes you can purchase, at a discount, their scores for 3b.
My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 29 of 37
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Jccflat wrote:
Yes but I don’t think the Equifax gives the Fico score version anyway
Please correct me if I am wrong

No You are 100% correct on the EQ, but if you pull from myFICO or Experian  .. you get the real deal!

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.