Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Dispute for Previously Delinquent Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Dispute for Previously Delinquent Student Loans

I've been trying to dispute/ correct my Equifax credit histroy. Bullet points which are important:

In mid-2015 I defaulted on my student loans.

Early 2016 I went into loan rehab and completed it, with my loans now being held by a sole provider. I have made all payments on time, and even paid the smallest off.

Equifax is still showing 2 of the original accounds as 90+ days delinquent and in a collections account. This is untrue.

Equifax is also showing my previously delinquent accounts balances as still being due, which doubles my outstaning accounts.

I've tried 3 times to go through the dispute process online for equifax, but:

1. the website is nearly impossible to get to work, as the last step is to attach documentation to the dispute, but the website wont let me do that.

Anyone else go through this, and navigate it successfully?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax Dispute for Previously Delinquent Student Loans

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying to dispute/ correct my Equifax credit histroy. Bullet points which are important:

In mid-2015 I defaulted on my student loans.

Early 2016 I went into loan rehab and completed it, with my loans now being held by a sole provider. I have made all payments on time, and even paid the smallest off.

Equifax is still showing 2 of the original accounds as 90+ days delinquent and in a collections account. This is untrue.

Equifax is also showing my previously delinquent accounts balances as still being due, which doubles my outstaning accounts.

I've tried 3 times to go through the dispute process online for equifax, but:

1. the website is nearly impossible to get to work, as the last step is to attach documentation to the dispute, but the website wont let me do that.

Anyone else go through this, and navigate it successfully?

Thank you!

I would send a letter by CMRR with the information clearly laid out and copies of your proof.   
See what results you get from that route first.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just fax them a letter. But be aware that Equifax is the most idiotic bureau and seems to mess up everything they touch. I have consolidated student loans that were NEVER late listed as collection accounts that they verify every time.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Rehabbing a federal student loan results in removal of the default status, but does not require removal of prior reported monthly delinquencies.

While some furnishers will remove monthly delinquencies after successful rehab, it is not required.

In fact, certain types of federal student loans have mandatory requirments for reporitng of delinquencies, and thus lack of removal can be asserted to be barred under the Higher Education Act.

Are you disputing the showing of any delinquencies in you prior payment history profile after rehab, or are you only disputing the accuracy of when they occured or whether the account is continuing to report a current delinqency status after rehab?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG, I am disputing that the amount on the CLOSED accounts is still due. 

They are counting my student loans as being outstandin debts for:

the previously delinquent accoutns

AND the current consolidated accounts.

This leaves me seeming to have a large amount of debt being due, when it is actually half of what they are showing.
This seems to be the reason my Eqifax score is 30+ points below the other two, and I'd like to correct it ASAP.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's that simple? Just a letter via fax with letters from the student loan lender showing what? Current amount due?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

soory, i'm a total greenhorn here....what's a CMRR?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certified mail, return receipt required. This establishes your proof that you mailed them something and they received it.
Message 8 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Certified mail, return receipt required. This establishes your proof that you mailed them something and they received it.

Thanks for the save.

I recommend the receipt required because if you need to prove you've already contacted them about it, it makes great proof.
I was having an issue with EQ and filed a complaint with the CFPB and could upload proof and I think it really helped.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second the CFPB suggestion.  I have used them three times and all three resolved issues I struggled with for months within a couple of days. Creditors and the reporting agencies are very responsive to those complaints.  At least they used to be, the Trump Admininstration has targeted this agency and tried to gut it because of its pretty much unchecked power.  Personally I am a fan of the agency because it gives consumers some leverage.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.