Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Personal Information (aka's)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Personal Information (aka's)

I have a question for you all. In reviewing my personal Experian and TransUnion reports, I am able to see all the name variations that have been reported over the years (with Experian being the most detailed); however, with Equifax I only see my first and last names listed.

So my question is: are you all seeing the same thing when you review your personal credit report with EQ? And if so, is this legitimately the only name that they report (or can be seen by those that obtain your report)?

EX reports like this: John J Doe; Jonathan J Doe; Jonathan Joshua Doe; Doe, John Joshua. TU reports: John Joshua Doe; John J Doe only. Equifax simply lists John J Doe. 

I just think its odd that a bureau wouldn't pick up all the other aka's/variations; and if they do, why they wouldn't show them to me in my personal report. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax Personal Information (aka's)

My guess is that it is how the creditor reported your name to a specific CRA when they hard pulled your report for the credit app, and since it was on a HP it doesn't migrate to other CRAs.

I only have one report that has variations on my name, Transunion. It reports my name correctly as First name, Middle initial, Last name. But it also shows AKA with my full middle name, and then with a misspelled last name - the last 2 characters are wrong, instead of "ar" it's "on". I'd be willing to bet that is from Synchrony, from an electronics store financing for the first HDTV I bought in 2004 - it was a handwritten application and I have terrible handwriting and they probably mistook the last 2 characters as "on" instead of "ar". For some reason that account closed in 2006 still reports, I'm also willing to bet when it stops reporting I'll get rid of that misspelled name on TU.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

My guess is that it is how the creditor reported your name to a specific CRA when they hard pulled your report for the credit app, and since it was on a HP it doesn't migrate to other CRAs.

I only have one report that has variations on my name, Transunion. It reports my name correctly as First name, Middle initial, Last name. But it also shows AKA with my full middle name, and then with a misspelled last name - the last 2 characters are wrong, instead of "ar" it's "on". I'd be willing to bet that is from Synchrony, from an electronics store financing for the first HDTV I bought in 2004 - it was a handwritten application and I have terrible handwriting and they probably mistook the last 2 characters as "on" instead of "ar". For some reason that account closed in 2006 still reports, I'm also willing to bet when it stops reporting I'll get rid of that misspelled name on TU.

Interesting ... TU used to only show my first and last name with middle intitial and then added the variation with the full middle name a couple of years ago. Now as to name variations I found LexisNexis and some of the other information gathers went nuts on this. My Lexis Nexis reports is 52 pages with name and address variations that are ridiculous. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses. Its too bad this section of the forum is not visited as much.

I looked at my information again, the EQ name I listed above is not correct. EQ only lists first and last name; no middle initial or full middle name...I just want to know if they actually report different variations but for some reason only show us, the consumer, the one name. I don't have an entirely uncommon name but it also isn't overly common, say like Tomas Smith etc or worse, Michael (enter common Anglo surname). I would think name variations would help further identify the consumer. 

I know exactly why EX and TU had my full middle name; in 1999 when I applied for my Discover card online they asked for First, Middle, Last name. Instead of Middle Initial...so being young and naive I entered the full middle name. A few years later I called them to redact the name to just the initial and they obliged but it got reported nonetheless. 

Anyway, couldn't find this answer anywhere else in the interwebs.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked at my account, they literally have 6 variations of my name.  They also have my boyfriends last name as my own even though we are not married.  They also have my last name as the same from an old roomate that I had for several years and we lived at the same address!

Smiley Surprised

I will be disputing those very soon!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.