Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax gave me highest FICO, but banks pulled from Experian/Trans instead

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax gave me highest FICO, but banks pulled from Experian/Trans instead

Never had use for a freeze.  But if I have a freeze turned on for my last two approved cards, it would have thrown most of the approval into manually drive . . . which opens up for more questions and documents needed.

Message 11 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax gave me highest FICO, but banks pulled from Experian/Trans instead

The FCRA establishes the permissible purposes that, if present, permit a party to obtain a copy of your credit report.

It is not specific to the which credit reporting agency the inquiry is or can be submitted, but is specific only as to establishing that they have a permissible purpose.  See FCRA 604.

When they send an inquiry to any CRA, the FCRA mandates that they include their statement of permissible purpose, which then establishes their authority.  Provided they have stated their permissible purpose, which in the posted scenario would be a consumer initiated request for credit, the CRA can then send the requested credit report.  

Stated differently, the consumer is not involved in the ability of a creditor to pull your credit report, or to limit or direct which CRA an inquiry is directed to, if the stated purpose is one or more of the permissible purposes listed under FCRA 604.

The inquiry system is intended to provide wide flexibilty to creditors in evaluating credit applications by essentially removing the consumer from the determination of which report they choose to obtain.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.