Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax gone crazy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax gone crazy

Updated personal information at Equifax (they had some spelling of my name wrong). Got an alert, my score dropped 83 points. For some reason, they removed 17 accts. Only ones left are a couple old ones showing zero balances. Perfect history but 6 hard inquiries are still there (all accurate). **bleep**?? All good at TU and EX.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax gone crazy

Welcome... to the machine. Smiley Wink

I'd be on the phone like pronto to EQ if I was in your shoes. Something got snafu'd

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this morning they added 1 new account (Chase) back on the EQ report, boosting my score back up 77 points. All the other accounts remain removed, so I decided to be slick and work this situation in my favor. I pulled an EQ only app (Citi) and got approved for a Citi Premier Thank You Card for $4500! I was denied for Citi Simplicity a month ago (too many new accounts). I should grab another one before they fix all this crap. Who gardens in the cold weather anyway?
Message 3 of 10
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new card. Just be cautious as some lenders will do Soft Pulls for a few months after obtaining new credit. If your file takes a big hit once they fix everything, you could end up losing some of those new accounts.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thou giveth, thou taketh away. Lol

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be careful; that’s what’s great about this forum.
Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Eq stinks. Trying to talk to them on the phone is like trying to talk to a whale underwaterSmiley Wink. At least a whale understands its underwaterSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Eq stinks. Trying to talk to them on the phone is like trying to talk to a whale underwaterSmiley Wink. At least a whale understands its underwaterSmiley Wink

AJC you are so hard on the stupid ones  (Equifax) ;(

Message 7 of 10
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Updated personal information at Equifax (they had some spelling of my name wrong). Got an alert, my score dropped 83 points. For some reason, they removed 17 accts. Only ones left are a couple old ones showing zero balances. Perfect history but 6 hard inquiries are still there (all accurate). **bleep**?? All good at TU and EX.

This sounds like a Split or Mixed file. 

It can happen when pieces of personal information don't match, so a separate report is generated. (Last Name, First Name, Address, SSN)

It's a nightmare to resolve, because most of the frontline reps at Equifax don't have any idea what they're doing.

In my experience, it's usually an address issue... which used to be an easy over-the-phone fix with Equifax. Lately, it seems like they are requesting all kinds of documentation for getting an address corrected.

The best surefire way to correct an address is to make sure that all of your creditors are reporting the correct address. So, login to each credit account and make sure they have the correct address. Call each creditor, if necessary, to be sure. However, in some cases, a closed or deleted account might be reporting an inaccurate or outdated address. In this case, a dispute with a few recent utility bills can be sent in.

I remember logging into my Equifax report a few times, only to see there wasn't any of the 10+ year history listed on the report. That's the kind of real damage to someone's financial history that makes them unfit to steward that personal data, in the first place. Even their apocryphal, "$25,000," insurance policy, wouldn't be anywhere near enough to compensate for totally deleting somone's entire credit history.

Worse still, people that don't have the time or the inclination to know the innerworkings of these issues can totally get screwed, with no real timely recourse. Even those of us that are well studied on the subject can intermittently suffer from the negligence of too big to fail organizations like Equifax.

It seems to me that Equifax needs a complete overhaul. Their system is wholly outdated, and largely ineffective at consistently keeping data together. Their system just encounters far too many failures.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, strange crap going on there. I’ve had a 200 point swing in the last week. It all started when I faxed in drivers license, ssn, and utility bill. 17 accounts deleted, about 10 have made it back on. INQs went from 1 to 9 back to 1 again. Meanwhile, I froze all three accounts till it’s back to normal.
Message 9 of 10
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Equifax keeps removing my 3 AU accounts, then add them back, only to remove again. This has been going on about 3 billing cycles now. It doesn't bother me too much as they're all $0 balanced cards, but it is a bit annoying. 3-6 point score difference.
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.