Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax, how I loath thee!

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Equifax, how I loath thee!

I received an email from EQ about the results of my online dispute being available to view. I have been cleaning up all the little errors and old irrelevant data on my credit bureaus, specifically the old out of date addresses that persist on my reports. 

I go to log in and I get a message that I must call. Grrrr!

I call and had to go through the automated verification process. I had to enter my SSN, Mobile Phone number, the house number of where I lived and my zip code. I then had to enter a code that hey pushed to my mobile number. No problem, I know account security is a big issue and I want my information safe (even though EQ has a poor track record). I then spend 25 minutes (I kept track) on hold before I could speak with an agent (yes, I could have used the callback feature, but I didn't). I spoke with an individual with barely passable American English skills and I went through the f*****g verification again (really, it is 2019 folks,  my initial verification should have transferred with my call) before addressing the reason I called. 

The agent asked for my email and proceeded to reset my password. I was then again placed on hold for 5 minutes. When the agent returned to the phone I was informed that my issue had to be handled by her supervisor and that I should check my email in 24 -48 hours for a number to call back to have access to myEquifax fixed?!?

Anyone else run into this issue?

If Equifax was a person I would probably be on death row.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax, how I loath thee!

I am in the same boat as you. On 8/12 I disputed with all three about a few incorrect addresses and phone numbers. In a few hours I got back conformation that the incorrect info had been removed and my file updated from EX and TU but EQ took a few days. When I followed the link and put my info in I was instructed to call. I decided to have a call back which was said to take 15 mins. But they never called back. 8 hrs later I call again and go through the automated service and still received no info. I put the phone down and try another number and after over 1/2hr I get a CSR from overseas who proceeds to read a script saying I must send a copy of a whole lot of things by mail to get the info. I refused and decided to forget about it.

Fast forward, they send another email yesterday and I decided to follow the link which ended up with me having to call AGAIN. Called last night and was put on hold for 1hr and 11minutes before a CSR came online. He seemed to have more info and told me that what I disputed was removed. Today I got another email from EQ with the same info of dispute completed, click to see my update. No thank you.

Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Equihack EquisuxSmiley Sad
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue, same  bureau, same day.

I was trying to clean up  erroneous addresses, phone numbers, names and it locked me out of myEquifax. Went through the same process as you but I got lucky. They transferred me to tech support and they got me back in. Downside is I received a notice that my dispute was completed and they showed the corrected info but when I pulled a new report it was all still there. I’ll give it until Monday then it’s back at it.

Message 4 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was trying to clean up  erroneous addresses, phone numbers, names and it locked me out of myEquifax. Went through the same process as you but I got lucky. They transferred me to tech support and they got me back in. Downside is I received a notice that my dispute was completed and they showed the corrected info but when I pulled a new report it was all still there. I’ll give it until Monday then it’s back at it.

Yeah, good luck with that!

I had to finally file a CFPB complaint against EQ to get an erroneous or perhaps fraudulent address removed from my file.

Message 5 of 15
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that!

I had to finally file a CFPB complaint against EQ to get an erroneous or perhaps fraudulent address removed from my file.

Hi all, I had the EXACT same issues with Equifax this month.

Little known facts that may help you:
1.) If you get a foreign representative and you have a hard time communicating, you can ask to be transferred to the American queue - and they WILL transter you to the American call center. At this point I ask from the beginning of the call - try it sometime.

2.) Best time to call for short wait is after 9am EST on Sundays.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sundays? I rarely have reason to call but I think the last CRA I called was TU and they were Monday to Friday only iirc. and bankers hours too.

Message 7 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sundays? I rarely have reason to call but I think the last CRA I called was TU and they were Monday to Friday only iirc. and bankers hours too.

TU is not EQ and I have no issues with TUeq hours.JPG

Message 8 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

2.) Best time to call for short wait is after 9am EST on Sundays.

Yep, I figured that out back in January. (It's usually overseas)

Like the other posters, the wait time yesterday was so long, opt. for call-back and they never called back.

Since I recently found out I had a security issue: fraud and identity ( thanks @Birdman7 re: TrustFactor TU) I am trying to freeze all of my reports.  Equifax breech was Sept. 2017, my fraudulent activity Dec. 2017.  Equifax is the only agency I can't get a freeze put on.  Can't do it online, they won't answer or call back.  So last night I did another dispute (still couldn't place a freeze through that portal)  in order to put a statement on my cr that I have never lived outside of my state. Put the correct past addresses, current, all with dates.  Also,  I added that I never lived in North Carolina (on my cr) and I never applied for credit in 2017 (also on my cr).  Then I went on to update my employment dating back to 1992, etc.  Since EQ is unable to update and verify erroneous info. being thrown at my file I figured, Fight fire with fire....they won't do it so I did. 

Just got the email update, they did not correct the false info. but my stmt. is on my file. 

Side Note: got another email yesterday from EQ that I had until Jan 2020 to decide which opt(s) I wanted to choose regarding the breech.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

The saga continues...

I just got off the phone with Equifax's offshore call center. My call last week did nothing to escalate the problem of me being locked out of myEquifax account. So again, I spent another 15 minutes speaking with an offshore call center to again have my locked out issue escalated to "the supervisor" to have my account unlocked. 

Last week I was quoted 24 - 48 hours. This time I was quoted 7 - 10 business days. 

Ugh, I am so tired of dealing with Equifax. I wish I could snap them out of existence.

ETA: On a positive note, I was on hold less than 30 seconds after I verified my account.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.