Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax is really stubborn!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is really stubborn!!!

My Experian and Transunion scores are rapidly increasing, which is exactly what I need Smiley LOL But my Equifax score is steadily going down. It doesn't matter if my statements decrease by $400 or $1000, my Equifax score will not go up, but Experian and Transunion will. I have 3 credit cards that constantly report to the bureaus every month, Amex BCP, CSP, and Cap1 QS. Month to month, I consistently pay down on my balances, and my scores go up except for Equifax which is consistenly no change or it is going down.

My statements have reached the Bureaus for this month. I paid down my AMEX, CAP1, and CSP by $524, $762, and $697, this in return made my Experian score increase by a total of 7 points (AMEX  triggered a +5point increase, CAP1 triggered no increase, and CSP triggered a + 2point). For Equifax, my AMEX pay down triggered  a +4point increase, and CAP1 added a +1point increase but CSP took me down by -13points on Equifax.

Now I am standing at a 702 for my Equifax score, a 783 for Experian, and a 776 for Transunion. Are there any tips or tricks on increasing my Equifax score? I doubt there is based on the fact that I think the score is based on bahvioral patterns way beyond controlling. I would like to increase it and raise it to the level of the other bureaus becasue I am planning on starting the mortgage process in 2018. So I think the only tip is to let patience have her way and to pay down on all of my balances, but I would like to hear from you all.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax is really stubborn!!!

There really is not a trick to this. It varies for each consumer based on what is in your profile. There has to be something different this bureau is reporting compared to the others , in a negative way, that is keeping it's score lower.

You have to.somehow figure out what it is in order to know if it is something you can address.

For example, my EQ js always about 10 points higher than the others. At first glance, it seems it shouldn't be. But when looking closer, they are the only ones reporting a paid car loan from 2006. I'm sure that raises my AAoA a bit and causing the higher score. In your case, it could be multiple things or one major difference.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 16
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

My EQ is in a free fall since I've started rebuilding. I've lost about 30-40 points from adding new accounts. My EX and TU have both increased.

I know CK is a FAKO score. But I had 4 cards report a zero balance and TU went up 4 points and EQ went down 9.

On my actual FICO scores - TU through Merrick and EQ through DCU - every increase in TU results in. A decrease in EQ. It's frustrating.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To be clear this is either MF or CCT monitoring?

If so, there's almost assuredly some non-trivial difference between the reports to generate a ~80 point difference; pull your full reports and figure out what's what.

If this is a FAKO score (though personally even if Vantage I'd be doing the same as above as it's pretty consistent too in my experience across bureaus, more than any FICO sub FICO 9 at any rate) all bets are of course off Smiley Happy.

        
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

To be clear this is either MF or CCT monitoring?

I'm using myFICO to monitor my credit score.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
There really is not a trick to this. It varies for each consumer based on what is in your profile. There has to be something different this bureau is reporting compared to the others , in a negative way, that is keeping it's score lower.

You have to.somehow figure out what it is in order to know if it is something you can address.

For example, my EQ js always about 10 points higher than the others. At first glance, it seems it shouldn't be. But when looking closer, they are the only ones reporting a paid car loan from 2006. I'm sure that raises my AAoA a bit and causing the higher score. In your case, it could be multiple things or one major difference.

Good advice...I will look through my report with a fine tooth comb because I would love to have all 3 scores somewhat match up

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX wrote:
My EQ is in a free fall since I've started rebuilding. I've lost about 30-40 points from adding new accounts. My EX and TU have both increased.

I know CK is a FAKO score. But I had 4 cards report a zero balance and TU went up 4 points and EQ went down 9.

On my actual FICO scores - TU through Merrick and EQ through DCU - every increase in TU results in. A decrease in EQ. It's frustrating.

Very frustrating indeed!! It's the CSP that pummeled my EQ score, but raised EX and TU. Go figure...smh. This make me also question the relationship between EQ and Chase, are they plotting against me?!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will vary for everyone.  My weakest one was EX.  Which is why I concentrated so hard on getting that score up.  And now it is my highest.  EQ & TU are about the same but not much of a difference.  I can't say what makes the scores change as they do.  Did try to figure some of it out and gave up!  The best solution is regular on time payments, paying much more than the minimum, and the aging of accounts. Oh and keeping your UT low.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It will vary for everyone.  My weakest one was EX.  Which is why I concentrated so hard on getting that score up.  And now it is my highest.  EQ & TU are about the same but not much of a difference.  I can't say what makes the scores change as they do.  Did try to figure some of it out and gave up!  The best solution is regular on time payments, paying much more than the minimum, and the aging of accounts. Oh and keeping your UT low.

My UTI is around 4%, I'm very discipline with making ontime payments, no recent apps, and aging accounts of around 12 yrs. I think I'm about to pull my reports again through myFICO, havent done that since October 214, and search through my EQ profile to really see whats on there. Does anyone have a working contact number for Equifax with an english speaking representative? I really want to give them a call.

@Oh nice limit @Anonymous Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Heh.

So I went back and found a post I made from 1-1-2013:

"I made last year's goal of getting to a FICO score of 640; I'd originally estimated that my score would top out around 700 until some negatives age off; however, just going to guesstimate that it may float up to 680 by the end of the year, so that's the goal at least."

This was regards to EQ Beacon 5.0... and I peaked at 700 once when uber clean for a mortgage last year, and am sitting at 693 now,  nearly 3 and a half years since I posted that with a file that is optimized other than inquiry count which could admittedly be lower and is the likely difference between my current score and said 700.

Sucks being right some times... speaking of stubborn...

        
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.