Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax just reported the account as closed...incorrectly

tag
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Equifax just reported the account as closed...incorrectly

The other bureaus still report it open. I can log in to the account as well, and everything shows fine. So, this is clearly on equifax's side. It's a store card and haven't used it since March, 2016, and maybe that contributed.

what is the best way to get this resolved?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax just reported the account as closed...incorrectly

What CC is this you're speaking about?

Its very possible that is was closed, and EQ is reporting correctly, and the other CRA's just haven't updated.

Would help to know a few more details about your situation though.
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would begin by calling the creditor and getting the facts as to their handling of the account.

Nine months of inactivity could be basis for the creditor having closed the account, and not yet updated that fact with all CRAs.

Message 3 of 7
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

sorry if I wasn't clear:

the account itself is open. It shows open online. i just called customer service and they confirmed it's open.

experian and transunion still show it as open.

equifax alone shows it closed. this is equifax problem.

how do i fix it? file a dispute with them or some other way?

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it is showing as closed, it was likely reported to EQ as such.

If the account is still open, then the creditor apparently misreported to EQ.

I would first attempt to resolve informally without filing a dispute by calling the creditor and requesting they correct their reporting with EQ.

I would reserve filing of a dispute if you cannot resolve informally.....

Message 5 of 7
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Update to the situation:

tried calling equifax but they were closed on Jan. 2. Was going to call them again today, but they just updated themselves to report the account as open. So, I dont' know what caused the account to show closed, and then what made it report open again, but glad it's resolved on its own.

I guess, sometimes micromanaging can cause more stress than just looking at account every once in a few days or weeks, even.

Message 6 of 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

Update to the situation:

tried calling equifax but they were closed on Jan. 2. Was going to call them again today, but they just updated themselves to report the account as open. So, I dont' know what caused the account to show closed, and then what made it report open again, but glad it's resolved on its own.

I guess, sometimes micromanaging can cause more stress than just looking at account every once in a few days or weeks, even.

It's interesting this happened to you. I had a similar issue where I had two Chase accounts report as closed according to Equifax's complimentary three bureau annual pull. The strange thing was they reported the Chase accounts closed only on my Experian part of their report. Of course on Experian's own site and credit report they reported the Chase accounts as very much open and active as they are. Very strange. It was clearly an Equifax screw up. Glad you didn't dispute that with the creditor as it may have gained you a "disputed" notation in the comments section of that file.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.