Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax says they don't have my credit history in their file

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax says they don't have my credit history in their file

I am trying to joing the military and my recruiter told me that they were having a problem with my Equifax report. My experian and TransUnion credit report is fine so I tried to get my a report from Equifax on my own. I tried doing it online but I was having a problem and getting stuck on the verification page. Called customer service and they told me to send a copy of my SSN and drivers license. I faxed one out to have it processed faster. After waiting 48 hours(which they told me to, after sending the fax) I called them back to order and verify my identity. Once they verified that it was really me they told me I didnt have any credit history on their data base. They told me to call my bank and creditors to send them a copy(why do I have to do their job?). Now I found in this forum that one member sent a complain using CFPB. Just sent one today.

Anyone know how long it will take for Equifax to fix this mess?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Equifax says they don't have my credit history in their file

Probably around 30 days. By chance are you a Jr., III that you share the same name with a father or grandfather, often times it is not unheard of getting split files, or your accounts on someone's else report. Did you notice any different addresses on your other 2 reports that are not nor ever been your address? Or a suffix, or nickname on the reports?

Would you happen to be an authorized user on one of your parents accounts?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax says they don't have my credit history in their file

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I found in this forum that one member sent a complain using CFPB. Just sent one today.

I am not a big fan of using CFPB this early in the process.  That's ideally for when the CRA is really intransigent and you need the US govt to step in to get them to cooperate.  

You ask why you have to do their job.  They have explained that they have no creditors of any kind listed in your file.  Therefore they simply can't call your creditors. 

They are right that the next step is for you to make a list of all your creditors and call them and ask them if they are reporting to Equifax and if so when the last two dates they did so.  The phone calls shouldn't take less than a half hour total -- just make sure that you are talking to the dept inside that creditor that deals with the credit bureaus.  An ordinary customer service might not know the answer or give you mistaken info.

You can use your credit reports at the other two bureaus as a model for who to call.

Be sure when you speak with each creditor that they have been using the correct street address, city, state, and zip, as well as spelling of your first name and last name, and social security number and birthdate.  Double check that each one had been using the same correct current info.

BTW, what accounts do you have and how long have they been open/  For credit cards, have you made a purchase on each one in the last four months?

PS.  You may not be able to reach the specialized depts (at Chase, Citi, Amex, Bank of America, etc.) that deal with the credit bureaus this weekend.  Best to wait till Monday (a few might be closed in honor of Veterans Day, in which case Tuesday).

PPS.  If your research shows that you have multiple creditors that have been reporting to EQ for at least the last three months, it may mean that you have a Split File.  We can explain more about that once you have called your creditors and done the legwork with them.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.