cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will not report new accounts. Sent letter confirming this to me.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax will not report new accounts. Sent letter confirming this to me.

I've got a complex and long rebuild journey. 

I faced identity theft issues back in 2014/15. Got that resolved. Cleared up debts. Cleared up Reposession. Settled and negotiated PFD. 

So where it gets complex is I had identity theft again in 2019. Score dropped almost 150 points. Actual FICO 8. I've frozen Chex and LN and all bureas. I've filed a police report and FTC Report. 

On top of this I have a family member who has the same name. Accounts cross all the time. It has happened since I was 18. 

Equifax is now refusing to report new credit accounts. They'll remove the old, and I have this in writing. So while the others climb back up they're stuck at 498 and almost 600 for the other two. 

I'm unsure if anyone has experience with this. But I've received a letter that basically states they refuse to add new accounts. 

I'm lost at what to do. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will not report new accounts. Sent letter confirming this to me.

Maybe I missed it, but why will they not report new accounts? 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am unsure of the exact reason. 

Basically after the phone call I had with a senior representative I took away that they're "unable to locate my credit file/ and or determine my identity". But they're removing accounts so this makes no sense to me. I'm at a loss for what to do. 

Message 3 of 5
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I have struggled with identity theft for years myself and I have also had issues with Equifax. To me, it sounds like you might have a mixed or split file situation, which is something that can happen if you have too much information in your file or Equifax cannot differentiate between you and your family member. So they might have some of your accounts on their file and you might have some of theirs on your file, if it is mixed. For a split file, you end up with two separate credit files because there is too much information to fit into one. You could be dealing with one of these situations, in my opinion. Equifax can fix this, but you have to talk to someone in the U.S. No one in their Indian call center will understand or be able to help you with this problem.

Are you able to access Equifax's online dispute portal? Do you have a recent copy of your report directly from them? I ask this because I think you need to figure out what all the personal information showing on your file looks like. You need to dispute by mail any info that overlaps with your family member as well as any old addresses, employers, SSN variations, or other erroneous personal info. This way, they have your correct name, DOB, SSN, and current address, but nothing else that could be used to confuse you with anyone else. This also helps protect you from ID theft because all your info is reporting the same everywhere, so anything different sets off the banks' fraud pattern algorithms.

I'd start with getting the personal information situation cleared up. After that, I would get in touch with someone in the executive office at Equifax and explain your situation. Tell them it is unacceptable for them to not allow any new accounts to be reported to your file and that it is preventing you from obtaining credit and having an accurate credit file. If they do not respond or help you, then I would file a complaint with the CFPB and explain what is going on. If the CFPB doesn't work, then I would find a consumer law attorney in your state and consult with them about your options.

Furthermore, I would dispute the personal information on TransUnion, Experian, Innovis, Sagestream, Lexis Nexis, Chexsystems, Factor Trust, NCTUE, and Clarity Services, just as I explained for you to do with Equifax. If any personal info on there is not current or accurate, then I would dispute it. The same issues can occur with any and all of these bureaus, in terms of getting mixed up with your relative. In addition, you might also uncover additional instances of identity theft. There are definitely more bureaus out there than this, but I think these are the biggest ones that will help you the most in getting this situation cleared up at this time. Let me know if you have questions, I know this is a lot of info/work to do.

Message 4 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got a complex and long rebuild journey. 

I faced identity theft issues back in 2014/15. Got that resolved. Cleared up debts. Cleared up Reposession. Settled and negotiated PFD. 

So where it gets complex is I had identity theft again in 2019. Score dropped almost 150 points. Actual FICO 8. I've frozen Chex and LN and all bureas. I've filed a police report and FTC Report. 

On top of this I have a family member who has the same name. Accounts cross all the time. It has happened since I was 18. 

Equifax is now refusing to report new credit accounts. They'll remove the old, and I have this in writing. So while the others climb back up they're stuck at 498 and almost 600 for the other two. 

I'm unsure if anyone has experience with this. But I've received a letter that basically states they refuse to add new accounts. 

I'm lost at what to do. 

OP, do you mind typing "exactly" what the letter says regarding new accounts. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.