Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax won't remove MY consumer statement that is no longer valid

tag
itlm062
New Contributor

Equifax won't remove MY consumer statement that is no longer valid

I've reached out to equifax about 7 times, each time they said the informatoin is up to date, but my consumer statement is still there.

I even tried to update it with just a "thanks for checking" and they won't do it.

I've also opened up 3 CFPB complaints, each time, Equifax basically opens up a "dispute" on my behalf, and says it's done.

As other have stated, I didn't even put this "consumer statement" there, it was one of the web form they had back then that I tried to do a dispute...

Has anyone had any luck trying to get Equifax to remove their own consumer statement?

thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax won't remove MY consumer statement that is no longer valid

What does the consumer statement say? What did the CFPB say? 

Message 2 of 9
itlm062
New Contributor

The statement basically including me begging Equifax for an early removal of my bk13.

It had cost me an oppertunity to refinance with Chase, as even thou the bk fell off my report, the consumer statement still mentions it.

CFPB basicaly said, "Equifax responded, case closed". 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're supposed to remove it at your request. Do you have copies of a statement from Equifax clearly declaring that it has been removed? If so, file another dispute with the CFPB including proof that they are lying about having removed the statement and cite your rights to an accurate credit file. Your consumer statement is no longer accurate and by law must be removed. It sounds like you need to get a little tougher in your approach and demand that this be resolved under threat of pursuing legal action.

Message 4 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I have this same issue. I requested that it be removed about 6 or 7 times, including twice by phone, and several times by filing online "disputes." The online "disputes" achieved nothing.

Phone call one resulted in a confusing and exasperating set of questions supposedly verifying my identity, though they were impossible questions, like "what is the balance on your credit card" when I had several credit cards and didn't know what any of them had most recently reported. After a few guesses, I got locked out, and they told me there was nothing they could do.

Phone call two resulted in speaking with a friendly human who seemed to want to help, and assured me it would be taken care of, but it never was.

I filed a BBB complaint that also achieved nothing.

I emailed an Atlanta lawyer to see if he'd file a lawsuit for me, recognizing that there would probably not be any real damages, but simply to get Equifax's attention. The lawyer didn't follow up. In fairness to him, I doubt there's much money in it. And, that's where I let the trail go cold.

As a result of this, I view Equifax as a sleazy operation, perhaps criminal in nature. Sorry, no helpful advice. But if anybody decided to do a class action lawsuit, I would be in.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 9
itlm062
New Contributor

Thanks guys, I might look into a file a suit in the CA small claims court...

I tried to refinance in march, and due to the consumer statement, i missed out on a zero cost, 3% mortgage with Chase, who stated i had to be out of BK for 10 years in order to qualify for a mortgage with them.  They only found out due to this one consumer statement, since the BK dropped off my reports 2 years ago.  I ended up with a CU at 3.25 and had to pay closing cost close to $5k...

Would love some guidence if anyone has sued them in small claims court (other than the breach they had)?

thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@itlm062 wrote:

Thanks guys, I might look into a file a suit in the CA small claims court...

I tried to refinance in march, and due to the consumer statement, i missed out on a zero cost, 3% mortgage with Chase, who stated i had to be out of BK for 10 years in order to qualify for a mortgage with them.  They only found out due to this one consumer statement, since the BK dropped off my reports 2 years ago.  I ended up with a CU at 3.25 and had to pay closing cost close to $5k...

Would love some guidence if anyone has sued them in small claims court (other than the breach they had)?

thanks!

Bankruptcy stays on your report for 10 years and they want you out of Bankruptcy 10 years? That's penalizing you for 20 years.

I understand the frustration of getting something so simple corrected but I also would look for some other mortgage opportunity with not so strenuous demands.

Message 7 of 9
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

I don't know what to tell you, I have the same problem. I don't know how many disputes I have done, called online, spoke to a supervisor and filed a complaint. They always say its updated, but it does not go away. I hate this too as I put it on there because Salli Mae was getting reported as included in BK when it was not and Sallie Mae would not fix and said they did not have an account for me.

Anyway, the statement references my BK even though its now gone from my reports.  Good luck and if you find anything that works, how about let us know.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small claims court typically has a max threshold and the amount varies by state. You definitely have damages and I believe you therefore have a case. You need to consult qualified counsel, may need to file in state court as opposed to county.

Class-action would be interesting. Seems a deceptive and unfair trade practice as well, maybe FTC action, too?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.