cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex-SO Opened a Dispute with old Short Sale. Can I get the dispute remark removed from my report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ex-SO Opened a Dispute with old Short Sale. Can I get the dispute remark removed from my report?

We used to have a house. We split, and we were under water with the house. We did a short sale, moved on. This was in 2011 when I stopped payment, and short sale finalized in early 2012. So I believe the item should be removed sometime this year or maybe early next year (7 years). But I recently found on my credit "Consumer Disputes After Resolution" under the comments/remarks for the Short Sale. Turns out my Ex is disputing for some reason (that makes no sense to me). And I guess that since she is disputing it, then the lender is thinking I am too? 

Is there any way to get the comment removed from my credit report, since I am not the one disputing it? I am worried that it is negatively affecting my score (my score seems unaffected from prior history). I am not currently in the market to buy a house yet either, so may not be too big an issue?

But I also noticed that my Date of Last Activity is blank. I can't compare my previous reports as I lost them. I am worried that maybe the 7 year period for it falling off my credit report possibly got reset?

Or should I just ignore it since it will be falling off soon, and I don't think I will be in the market for a mortgage in the next year.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ex-SO Opened a Dispute with old Short Sale. Can I get the dispute remark removed from my report?

Joint and co-signed accounts are separately reported to each individual party's credit report, and thus each has the right to dispute the completeness or accuracy of that reporting to the CRA.

The CRA is then apparently determining that they are obligated to post the dispute and its results to the files of each party.

That is not without logic, but whether it can legally be challenged is a subject for judical determination.  I am not aware of any case law that establishes clear precedent for that legal question.

I would advise consulting an attorney who specializes in credit law for research and opinion as the the legality.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.