cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly 15 months ago I had horrible credit, today I have everything. Here’s my quick story:

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly 15 months ago I had horrible credit, today I have everything. Here’s my quick story:

I made many bad decisions when I was younger. After a BK and repo I completely abandoned credit for a few years. Exactly 15 months ago I started my journey.

All three of my fico scores were in the 500-520 range. I had collections and a charge off. The only thing positive was one small USAA car loan I paid on time.

Today I have the following:

My three fico scores range from 650-680.
I just closed on my mortgage 2 weeks ago
I have the following credit accounts:
Amex everyday- 1000
Amex green
Amex blue plus business- 2000
Amex gold business
Discover it- 1250
Cap 1 plat- 950
Cap 1 quicksilver- 750
Cap 1 journey- 950
Cap 1 sparks business- 500
Overstock- 2250
Wayfair- 2550

I’m telling this not to brag but to give hope and tips to others.

First thing I did was get discover it secured for 200.

Next the cap 1 plat for 300, then cap 1 journey, 300, then cap 1 quick for 300

After that I maxed them out and paid them off every month. I also did a credit line increase request after every billing cycle.

That really pumped up my scores.

Then I did the shopping cart trick for overstock and Wayfair. They will bump up your credit link immediately if you ask.
Once I got mid 600s I went for Amex. This is where everything changed for the real good.

Got the green and blue on the same day, a few months later I applied for and got approved for a mortgage . Now I just received all the business cards.

My highest score is 680 experian lowest 651 equifax.

Pay off your cards every month and get a myFICO membership to monitor your scores. Then read these forums and credit karma forums like crazy.

If I could do it you can! Good luck!

Edit: couple quick notes. Cap 1 is great for taking a chance on you but absolute garbage for high credit limits. I’ve been with them for over a year and still not one account over 950. Also the minute your experian fico 8 hits 660 apply for Amex green and Amex everyday on the same day (counts as 1 hit). They start you out low but raise credit limit fast.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: Exactly 15 months ago I had horrible credit, today I have everything. Here’s my quick story:

Congrats on your recovery!  You're on track for the rest of your life if you stick to it.

Message 2 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Exactly 15 months ago I had horrible credit, today I have everything. Here’s my quick story:

Congrats on your continued rebuild! What is great about it is you still have more success to come!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 7
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Congrats on the success you've had so far.

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice on your improvement!

Keep working on it and it only gets better.

Nice thing to know is if you keep your credit and finances in check,

your overall health and well being will be good too!

Keep your head held high and be proud of how far you came from the hard work and long road.

Message 5 of 7
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit: couple quick notes. Cap 1 is great for taking a chance on you but absolute garbage for high credit limits. I’ve been with them for over a year and still not one account over 950. Also the minute your experian fico 8 hits 660 apply for Amex green and Amex everyday on the same day (counts as 1 hit). They start you out low but raise credit limit fast.

Ugh at least you got to $950! I've been with them for a year and a half and not one single CLI. Like what the heck man?? Still stuck at $500. I keep wanting to close it, but then I keep waiting for the magical CLI that's probably never going to happen. My scores were in the 580's when I first got this card, so I'm 100% for sure bucketed. Their last reason for not increasing my limit was not enough use on the card. I've used it plenty these past few months!

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! That's awesome! Great story and congrats to you!  Keep it up and stay solid... life is good.   

Thank you for sharing this... I believe it will help and inspire many people!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.