cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of credit being "too good" for something?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Examples of credit being "too good" for something?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info, Brutal. It's been so long but now that I think of it, it got to 7.5k by combining two CL's. That was back when you could do that, not sure if they still allow it. I don't want to open any new credit at this point as it'll drop my score. Would CAP1 possibly raise the CL on a manual request? It'll cost an inquiry but it's better than opening a new trade line which will drop the AAOC's and most certainly drop my score for at least a year or more. When I took out a new car loan in early 2016, it took me 15-16 months to get back to 850. At one point I had dipped to the low 800's because of it. 

That makes sense that you had to combine 2 cards to get that limit.  Yes, Capital One does still allow the transferring of limits between cards.  You may be able to increase your CL with a HP, but it would still be an unfavorable CLI IMO based on the terms under which the account was opened.  If you had a favorable account, perhaps they'd be willing to take you to $12k-$15k (just numbers here for discussion purposes) where since the account is doomed already, possibly they only give you $9k-$10k or maybe even nothing at all as you could very well be over their ceiling already based on the combining of limits.  I personally wouldn't give up a HP, but that's just me.

As far as your scores, do keep in mind that aside from the number an 850 score is no different than an 800 score.  Both are looked at as exceptional and both will be able to get you the same exact products at the same exact rates.  I wouldn't sweat the opening of a new card if it's one that will be of more use to you.

If it makes you feel any better, I opened 3 new cards last week and I expect my 822/841 scores to drop about 20 points each once the new accounts all report.  I do however believe that by the end of the summer that those scores will be back to 822/841.

Message 41 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just leave it alone then, not worth the HP if they're going to be that stingy. It's pretty petty of them to continue to flag an account as subprime when the cardholder has clearly demonstrated superior credit history 2 decades later, but CAP1 has been known to be stubborn. Several years ago, I unknowingly defaulted $50-60 on a sd card because the statements were still going to my old address. No matter what they wouldn't delete the 90 day lates off my CR's. It was the only missed payment I'd ever had since opening the account with them and no missed payments from any other creditors 10 years leading up to that debacle. 

My score dropped from 850 to 810 after taking a car loan last year...mid 2016 I traded it in for another car and took a loan for the new car, my score stabilized around 825 then gradually rebounded to 850 in about 8-9 months. Opening a new card probably will not drop it as much since there's no debt being taken on, just a new trade line and a slight drop in the A0AA so I may open a new card or two this year. Do you carry any gas cards or department store cards? Those are not in my mix. I used to have a Lowes and Home Depot card but both were closed due to inactivity some 5-6 years ago. 

Message 42 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If your Cap1 card was opened when your credit was shot, that account is doomed to be at a low credit limit forever.  I'm actually surprised you were able to get it to $7500.  Very often these types of accounts never see above $2k-$4k.  Your only option for a higher credit limit with Cap1 is to open a new account.  The PC to the QS doesn't matter; it's basically just a different paint job on the same account and that account is still looked at unfavorably as it was when you first opened it.

With other creditors like Chase etc. it's generally just recommended that you put a heavy spend on your card and either PIF or allow balances to report that are at 20% or less.

Interesting ... I had a Capital One Card that never went beyond the credit steps and capped off at $750. In contrast I had two Capital One Business Cards that were at $10,600 and $6,000 for CLs ... go figure. After the 2007-2009 financial crisis I got tired of trying to increase the personal side of Capital One and closed everything down.

Message 43 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting thread to read! Seems that on pre-quals etc I haven't gotten many since the BK of 2001. A few but very few. Also, have been in the FICO 800's for three years and have seen no pre-quals. As to credit line increases my results equal water at an an Oasis in the middle of the desert. Before the great BK, I had near perfect credit for many many years and had pre-quals all the time along with CLIs (no hard inquiries). Now my CLIs come from me requesting (will only seek CLIs that are SPs). Yeah ... life is tough living in the 800s and truth I too pay the bills on time and ahead of schedule due to the fear of having debt again (yes it worries me).
Message 44 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll just leave it alone then, not worth the HP if they're going to be that stingy. It's pretty petty of them to continue to flag an account as subprime when the cardholder has clearly demonstrated superior credit history 2 decades later, but CAP1 has been known to be stubborn. Several years ago, I unknowingly defaulted $50-60 on a sd card because the statements were still going to my old address. No matter what they wouldn't delete the 90 day lates off my CR's. It was the only missed payment I'd ever had since opening the account with them and no missed payments from any other creditors 10 years leading up to that debacle. 

My score dropped from 850 to 810 after taking a car loan last year...mid 2016 I traded it in for another car and took a loan for the new car, my score stabilized around 825 then gradually rebounded to 850 in about 8-9 months. Opening a new card probably will not drop it as much since there's no debt being taken on, just a new trade line and a slight drop in the A0AA so I may open a new card or two this year. Do you carry any gas cards or department store cards? Those are not in my mix. I used to have a Lowes and Home Depot card but both were closed due to inactivity some 5-6 years ago. 

I agree.  My scores were in the low 600's when Capital One let me in with their Platinum and a $3k limit.  Several years have passed and my limit capped out at $4k after two whopping $500 CLIs.  It's been over a year since getting a CLI from them; the last 2 were denials.  I've accepted it though, and in the SD went my card.

I have 8 total credit cards, only one of which is a "store" card, Lowe's.  Store cards don't do anything for credit mix in terms of scoring, so don't feel you need any as they won't better your profile.  Some would even argue that the presence of store cards creates an unfavorable look to prime lenders upon a manual review.  That's more for those with an abundance of them, though... not just one or a couple.

Keep in mind that whenever you open a new account and it reports, your AoYA (age of youngest account) drops to 0.  This can impact your score card assignment and possibly rebucket you if your AoYA was > 1 year previously.  You said in mid 2016 you took on a loan, so I'm assuming your AoYA is right around 1 year now.  If it's less, opening a new account now wouldn't force you to cross that 1 year threshold... if it's more than 1 year, you could see a slight score drop from the AoYA change. 

Message 45 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info, I wasn't aware of the AoYA. I thought FICO only factored AAoA but didn't know they also looked at the youngest account age. Also didn't know store cards weren't counted as a separate mix of credit. So there's only 3 possible credit mix types, revolviing, installment and mortgage? Or is mortgage also considered installment? 

Message 46 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info, I wasn't aware of the AoYA. I thought FICO only factored AAoA but didn't know they also looked at the youngest account age. Also didn't know store cards weren't counted as a separate mix of credit. So there's only 3 possible credit mix types, revolviing, installment and mortgage? Or is mortgage also considered installment? 

There are in fact three age related factors: Average Age of Accounts, Age of Oldest Account, and Age of Youngest Account.

Age of Oldest and Age of Youngest, together with Total Number of Accounts, are the three factors used in assigning a profile to a scorecard (assuming the profile is clean).

There are two primary account types: Revolving and Installment.  Within each of those two there are various sub-types.  Thus installment loans can be tagged as Student Loans, Mortgage Loans, Auto Loans, etc.  Revolving accounts can be tagged as Credit Cards, Charge Cards, etc.

There's been endless speculation as to whether a given FICO model might give a person a bonus for having certain sub-types.  FICO's own reason codes seem to distinguish between "mortgage" and "non-mortgage" installment debt.  Thomas Thumb and others have toyed with the possibility that there might be a Credit Mix benefit to having both credit and charge cards.  But what seems certain is that the benefit of these sub-types (if such benefit exists at all) is small compared to the known advantage of having accounts of the two broad types.  Thus a profile with a few credit cards and an SS loan may be all you need to get maximum or near maximum points for Credit Mix.

Message 47 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info from CGID above.  He is correct that there are 3 factors that go into age of accounts.  AAoA is the most commonly discussed, and AoYA we discussed above which always drops to 0 any time a new account is opened.  Once that account hits the 1 year mark, you no longer have a "new" account when AoYA crosses 1 year which is a threshold.  There may be another threshold at the 2 year mark (arguable) but no one believes as far as I know that any exist beyond the potential 2 year mark. 

AoOA is one of those factors that cannot change with the addition of new accounts like AoYA and AAoA.  AoOA is only impacted by time and simply grows one month at a time.  The only time AoOA can suddenly change is if your oldest account is closed.  10 years after it is closed, it falls off your report.  When that happens, your AoOA immediately drops to the age of your next oldest account (open or closed) that's on your credit report.  If you're a typical person that opens up an account every couple of years, your AoOA would never drop more than a couple of years, which if it's something-teen years old usually won't represent a significant change.  In rare situtations though, where someone opens an account and then doesn't open another for a decade... feasibly one could have their AoOA drop from say 17 years to 7 years one day (for example) which is a pretty noteworthy change.  Hopefully this all makes sense!

Message 48 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info from CGID above.  He is correct that there are 3 factors that go into age of accounts.  AAoA is the most commonly discussed, and AoYA we discussed above which always drops to 0 any time a new account is opened.  Once that account hits the 1 year mark, you no longer have a "new" account when AoYA crosses 1 year which is a threshold.  There may be another threshold at the 2 year mark (arguable) but no one believes as far as I know that any exist beyond the potential 2 year mark. 

AoOA is one of those factors that cannot change with the addition of new accounts like AoYA and AAoA.  AoOA is only impacted by time and simply grows one month at a time.  The only time AoOA can suddenly change is if your oldest account is closed.  10 years after it is closed, it falls off your report.  When that happens, your AoOA immediately drops to the age of your next oldest account (open or closed) that's on your credit report.  If you're a typical person that opens up an account every couple of years, your AoOA would never drop more than a couple of years, which if it's something-teen years old usually won't represent a significant change.  In rare situtations though, where someone opens an account and then doesn't open another for a decade... feasibly one could have their AoOA drop from say 17 years to 7 years one day (for example) which is a pretty noteworthy change.  Hopefully this all makes sense!

Hey BBS!  That sounds plausible, but there can be frequent exceptions.  Here's just one example.  Bob opens a credit card.  He then opens an account every other year for 16 years.  These accounts are 36-month car loans, an occasional CC with a signup bonus (which he then closes to avoid the annual fee), a personal loan, finance company accounts, and finally a mortgage at year 16.  Then he opens a few more credit cards at year 16 and closes his first one.  At year 26 his old CC account falls off and his AoOA falls from 26 to 10. 

I have seen that happen a few times to people here.  The key is that all these subsequent accounts (in the example above) had fallen off before the very old account fell off, so they provided no protection. 

Admittedly, going from an AoOA of 26 to 10 isn't the end of the world.  But it is a drop of more than a couple years.

Great response by you as always, just thought I'd make that slight caveat.  My personal view is that the best way to protect yourself from a precipitous loss in AoOA is to make sure you keep your two oldest credit cards open, even if they aren't especially sensational or flashy.  The older they are, the more you should tend to protect them from being closed due to inactivity.  My two oldest open cards are 13 years old, and my oldest open account is my student loan at 16 years.  I do everything I can to keep them from being closed (very simple stuff, easy to do).

Message 49 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

[...]

Another example.  My father last year applied for the same credit card as me a month or so after I did and got approved for it.  His profile was significantly stronger than mine.  While we both had 1% utilization at the time of applying, his file was much thicker, much older, was squeaky clean (I had multiple accounts with baddies) and he hadn't applied for credit in a very long time so he probably had no inquries where I had a few.  Our incomes were also similar.  Due to his much stronger profile, his scores were about 100 points higher than mine as he was in the 830's and I was in the 730's.  Not only was I approved for the card with a higher SL than him, I was able to just about double my credit limit with SP CLIs over 6 months where he was only able to get one CLI during that time.  I completely understand that his profile and mine are obviously vastly different and that there are tons of factors that can be considered here, but this is just an observation.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has encountered any instances of credit possibly being "too good" or any other opinions on this subject as I think it could be a fun discussion.

[...]

You mention that your income and your father's were similar but his credit profile was stronger, and that you were approved while he was denied.

The amount of available credit, and existing available credit with the institution you are applying to, is a plus in FICO scoring.

However, proprietary underwriting algorithms (which are based on your reported income, something that FICO does not take into consideration) may look at your overall credit capacity and see huge available credit lines as posing unnecessary risk.

Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.