Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian AAoA VS Credit Card AAoA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian AAoA VS Credit Card AAoA

Hello,

I was wondering which AAoA is reviewed when applying for credit.

My average age of accounts is 8 years old according to Experian, however... my average age of accounts for my credit cards is only 1.5 years old on Transunion. 

So my question is, which AAoA do lenders go off of when I apply for credit?

Thank you in advance for any information

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian AAoA VS Credit Card AAoA

Where are you getting each of these figures from?   Is the TU figure from Credit Karma?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @coldfusion I am getting my information from experian for the 8 years

and the 1.5 years from credit karma and anything else that displays vantage 3.0 basically

Thank you for stopping by to leave a message

Message 3 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

First thing for you to confirm is if you have some older, closed accounts reporting or you have older open accounts reporting on EX but not reporting on Transunion.

AAoA typically includes closed accounts that are still reporting but Credit Karma only uses open accounts in their AAoA calculation. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree.

I believe that is the case here, so let me ask you this. 

If I were to apply for a new credit card at Amex, Chase, Citi or Discover, which AAoA will be used... which ever reporting agency they use? 

For example, my Vantage Score is 752 with a 1.5 year AAoA

My Experian is 717 with an 8 year AAoA

One has a better score and lower AAoA and the other has a higher AAoA and a lower score

But how do I know which AAoA will be considered, I guess my worry is that they will use the Exprian score with the Vantage AAoA which is only reporting newer / open accounts.

This question and concern comes from a different post of mine where I was informed to wait until I was at least 2 years AAoA before applying for a new credit card

Amex / Chase Application Question 

So now I'm trying to figure out if I am or not,  I know amex and chase both use Experian

But will they see I have a new profile, or an aged one is what I am wondering

Thank you again for your time, information and advice

Message 5 of 7
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

None of the major lenders (except Synch?) use Vantage scores for cc approvals.  They may or may not use Experian as a bureau, but it should be a FICO score.  A compilation of community dp on which lenders pull which bureaus can be found here.  Whether a lender will be concerned about average age of closed + open accounts vs. average age of open accounts only (if I understand your question correctly), I'm not sure, but I imagine it would be lender-specific.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think a lender is going to use a fico score and then a vantagescore age.

I believe a lender uses the fico score and then its own internal algorithms analyze the credit data for metrics such as age. But that’s just my theory, who knows what type of additional analytics the bureaus or fico provide to lenders? They may use multiple forms of analytics.

But the advice you were previously given, I’m sure the person was speaking of AAOA at the bureau from which they will pull with fico aging metrics. I couldn’t imagine someone advising you to rely on vantage metrics.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.