cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Credit Tracker - No More Discounts....WHY?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Valued Member

Experian Credit Tracker - No More Discounts....WHY?

I have had experian credit tracker for years.  Every year upon renewal I would call and ask for a discount on my yearly membership. In the past they would give me a 50% discount that came to about $12.50 a month.  

I just called and they are longer able to discount my membership and are asking for $24.99 per month. I have 2 weeks left and not sure what to do? I am not going to pay $300 a year for monitering service and wanted to know if anyone else is going though the same sisitution?

I need a 3 bureau monitering service.

Any suggestess would be greatly appreiateted. 

9 REPLIES 9
Established Member

Re: Experian Credit Tracker - No More Discounts....WHY?

Funny you mentioned. This doesn't asnwer your question but I signed up for experian credit tracker last month also because i wanted all 3 scores. I canceled after the trail because 24.99 a month for what they are offering (plus they still give you ads and sell your data like credit karma) is too much. They are over charging for a service that cost them a penny. I think if it was 9.99 or max of 12.99, more people would actually buy it. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 5k (Opened 5/31/18) | Capital One QuickSilver: 3k (Opened 5/10/18) | Chase Freedom Unlimited: 800 (Opened 1/5/17) | Citi ThankYou Preferred: 1500 | AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card: Closed | AMEX EveryDay® Credit Card: Closed AMEX dropped me Smiley Sad lol
Son of a Army General
Software Engineer
Message 2 of 10
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't pay that much for a credit tracker.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 3 of 10
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the discount. Experian has so many consumer-oriented credit monitoring products that I'm curious how Experian Credit Tracker differs from any of the others.

I use two Experian credit products and while the method might not be optimal it works for me.  The first one is CreditCheckTotal.com (yes, its an Experian product).  I sign up for the $1 for seven day trial which allows you to pull your 3B reports twice in a nine-day period.  Although the trial is advertised as seven days, it actually runs for nine days.  So you can pull your 3B report on the first day, then a second time on the 7th, 8th,or 9th day.  Once the trial expires, you can renew it again for another $1 after a day or two.  

The only complication is that Experian makes it challenging to cancel the trial since you have to call in to customer service.  There's a thread elsewhere in these forums that describes how you can cancel without having to spend 30-60 minutes on the phone.

The second Experian product I use is Experian CreditWorks Premium.  That too offers a 30-day trial for $4.99 and when it expires you can renew it for another $4.99.  CreditWorks Premium gives you one 3B pull at the start of the trial but you can pull your Experian scores daily.

Between these two products I monitor my scores as much as needed without paying an arm and a leg.

@BigApple wrote:

I have had experian credit tracker for years.  Every year upon renewal I would call and ask for a discount on my yearly membership. In the past they would give me a 50% discount that came to about $12.50 a month.  

I just called and they are longer able to discount my membership and are asking for $24.99 per month. I have 2 weeks left and not sure what to do? I am not going to pay $300 a year for monitering service and wanted to know if anyone else is going though the same sisitution?

I need a 3 bureau monitering service.

Any suggestess would be greatly appreiateted. 

Message 4 of 10
Valued Member

Credit Works is $24.99 after 3o days. I was looking for at least a one years membership. I want an alert if if someone trys to use my credit. 

Message 5 of 10
Established Member

@BigApple wrote:

Credit Works is $24.99 after 3o days. I was looking for at least a one years membership. I want an alert if if someone trys to use my credit. 

I wouldn't pay $24.99 a month just to get a credit alert. Pretty much every major credit card company does that and Credit Karma and Mint. Every time I apply for something or something happens with my credit, I get an alert from Credit Karma, Mint, Credit Wise from Capital One and  Credit Jorney from chase. If I apply for anything, I get an Instant alert from all of them.

$24.99 for all of there services is still too much. Since really, all I need is my monthly experian score since I get the rest for free in other places.

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 5k (Opened 5/31/18) | Capital One QuickSilver: 3k (Opened 5/10/18) | Chase Freedom Unlimited: 800 (Opened 1/5/17) | Citi ThankYou Preferred: 1500 | AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card: Closed | AMEX EveryDay® Credit Card: Closed AMEX dropped me Smiley Sad lol
Son of a Army General
Software Engineer
Message 6 of 10
Valued Contributor

You get all the alerts with either CreditCheckTotal or Experian CreditWorks trials.  Also free services from the other two major credit bureaus like TrueIdentity from TransUnion, and TrustedID from Equifax provide credit alerts.  Then there are additional websites like Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, Wallethub, Capital One CreditWise, and several others that provide instantaneous credit alerts for free.

There's no shortage of options for free credit alerts; the only plausible reason to pay for a service is to get your credit SCORES, not to get credit alerts.

Serious question though:  In your opening comment you said you've used Credit Tracker for years.  So why at this point is it still necessary to have daily credit monitoring?  Your credit scores do not change every day unless you're doing something really reckless, and even then they don't change daily.  The biggest change occurs at the beginning of a new month when the bureaus recalculate scores based on account aging, total number of accounts reporting balances for the month, inquiries dropping off, etc.  

@BigApple wrote:

Message 7 of 10
New Contributor

Experian has an app for Android. I've only had it for two months but I like it. I cancelled the free trial that had some bells & whistles because they aren't necessary IMO at $9.99p/mo (daily score refresh, score simulators, etc).

It doesn't update as often as CK or CS. Ex: I finally took my DH last name (married since '05) on May 15. Both CK and CS had alerts within 10 days. Nothing from EX app. The next monthly update is Monday so it should have my new last name.
Starting FICO8 Jan 2018: EX 583 | TU 596 | EQ Unknown
Aug 2018 FICO8: EX 700, | TU 691 | EQ 689| UTIL: 19%
Goal: 720+ for all 3 CRAs EOY 2019
DISC IT $13.5K | DFCU Visa $1,750 | Comenity (VS) $1060 |C1 $750 | AMEX PRG (NPSL) | AMEX Delta Skymiles $1,300| AMEX ED $1,300
| Chase FU $6400 | CSP $7700
AAoA: 5yrs 11mos (waiting for CSP and ED to report) | Oldest: 17yrs 11mos | Baddies: 4 lates (most recent Jan 2018) | INQ 2 each on EX and TU, 0 EQ
Message 8 of 10
Valued Member

Going to check out the experian app.....$9.00 a  month is in my wheel house

Message 9 of 10
Valued Contributor

The free version of the Experian app updates your Experian FICO score once a month.  You do not get the FICO scores from the other two credit bureaus.  To get your 3B scores on the app you still have to subscribe to one of Experian premium credit monitoring products like CreditWorks or Credit Tracker, then use the same login for the app.  So it will cost you the same anyway you try.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.