Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Freeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian Freeze

If you currently don't need new credit are there any negative ramifications for placing your credit on a freeze for all 3 bureuas? 

Will I still be able to monitor my credit score through my credit cards and CreditKarma? 

It's my understanding that freezing credit is the safest way to deal with this compromise, but I want to make sure I don't hurt my credit score in the process. I also want to make sure that you can undo the freeze at any time.

Would appreciate if anyone has correct info on this.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With my Eq frozen, i cannot receive updates on Credit Karma. Tu yes, but i pay a monthly service to be able to lock and unlock. I cannot view my free Ex scores or reports either due to freeze on my EX though i can see my updated Fico still via Amex. Freezing is good for your security and helps curb the app apetiteSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
With my Eq frozen, i cannot receive updates on Credit Karma. Tu yes, but i pay a monthly service to be able to lock and unlock. I cannot view my free Ex scores or reports either due to freeze on my EX though i can see my updated Fico still via Amex. Freezing is good for your security and helps curb the app apetiteSmiley Wink

Freezing is certainly the most secure way to protect your credit file. but as someone who has never frozen or locked their credit file, I've been researching quite a bit over the past few days and have decided that locking my CR is enough protection for me. As AJC explained, freezing your CR pretty much blocks all access to your file. Creditors can't do soft pull account reviews, credit monitoring services can no longer access it, I am surprised Amex can still provide a score. Locking only stops all HPs - hard pulls in applying for new credit or things like app'ing for a bank account or apartment that requires a credit pull. But creditors & credit monitoring services can still soft pull account reviews.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe your current creditors can still pull your credit report. It's just new inquiries for credit that are blocked. 

I also decided to go that rout. I froze all 3 bureaus. It cost me $10. TU and EQ were free. EX charged $10. It's my understanding that if I ever want to apply for a mortgage or new credit, I can simply unfreeze my report for a determinite amount of time so my credit can be accessed. 

In fact, I see no disadvantages to doing this whatsoever. To the point where I would've done this before the breach as there is no downside other than having to wait a few days to obtain new credit. Had I done so, that stupid cable company wouldn't have been allowed to run an inquiry after I specifically told them I did NOT authorize them! So I like this haha. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think when you aren't able to freeze online with Experian it's a pretty good indication you've been caught up in the Equifax mess. I was able to breeze through freezing all my credit reports (I came back as not affected on Equifax) but for my wife (came back as MAY be affected on Equifax) I had to freeze TU by calling in and Experian we had to mail documentation. However, we signed her up for Experian's IdentityWorks program yesterday and it turns out we were able to easily freeze her credit there instead.

Edit: Tiny correction - for Experian we apparently have what is technially called a "credit lock" via the IdentityWorks program. So it's a freeze of sorts but only stays in place while we have her in the program. So maybe it wasn't a waste of time/postage requesting a freeze via snail mail after all.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think when you aren't able to freeze online with Experian it's a pretty good indication you've been caught up in the Equifax mess. I was able to breeze through freezing all my credit reports (I came back as not affected on Equifax) but for my wife (came back as MAY be affected on Equifax) I had to freeze TU by calling in and Experian we had to mail documentation. However, we signed her up for Experian's IdentityWorks program yesterday and it turns out we were able to easily freeze her credit there instead.

Edit: Tiny correction - for Experian we apparently have what is technially called a "credit lock" via the IdentityWorks program. So it's a freeze of sorts but only stays in place while we have her in the program. So maybe it wasn't a waste of time/postage requesting a freeze via snail mail after all.

I haven't verified this so I don't want to be an alarmnist and it might not matter anyway, but someone told me that by signing up for a bureau's credit lock or protection program, you could be waiving some rights to sue in the event you are harmed in the future by identity theft. Again, I don't know this to be true, but I was warned not to sign up for any programs through the bureaus. 

And how about the Equifax board execs selling their millions of dollars worth of stock shares before informing the public about the breach? They should all go to jail! But I'm sure none will. I'm pretty incensed not only by what was done, but how it was handled by Equifax. 

Message 16 of 24
chrys
Established Member

The Equifax breach is only going to make it easier for thieves to rob us of our identifies and ruin our credit rating. I think the only safe thing is to keep a security freeze on unitl you need credit and then lift it briefly before reinstalling it. What a hassle!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-12/scammers-are-constructing-fake-people-to-get-real...

Message 17 of 24
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe your current creditors can still pull your credit report. It's just new inquiries for credit that are blocked. 

I also decided to go that rout. I froze all 3 bureaus. It cost me $10. TU and EQ were free. EX charged $10. It's my understanding that if I ever want to apply for a mortgage or new credit, I can simply unfreeze my report for a determinite amount of time so my credit can be accessed. 

In fact, I see no disadvantages to doing this whatsoever. To the point where I would've done this before the breach as there is no downside other than having to wait a few days to obtain new credit. Had I done so, that stupid cable company wouldn't have been allowed to run an inquiry after I specifically told them I did NOT authorize them! So I like this haha. 

There isn't. I did all three 2 years ago and it gives great comfort and piece of mind. And I can easily temp unfreeze .. It's $5 a piece for me in Arizona. But so worth it.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

There isn't. I did all three 2 years ago and it gives great comfort and piece of mind. And I can easily temp unfreeze .. It's $5 a piece for me in Arizona. But so worth it.

Can you verify if you're still able to monitor your credit through CreditKarma? That was my only regret. I do find CreditKarma useful. Also, can you verify that you still receive your FICO scores through your current credit card accounts? I was told I would be able to, but have yet verify this for myself, since it hasn't been 30 days since I placed the freezes.

Thanks,

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had issues trying to freeze EX on their website and did not want to send all the documentation through the mail. 

Called their number, went through the automated process, done.  Painless and took less than 5 minutes.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.