cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Help - wrong person on credit report!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Help - wrong person on credit report!

I've lurked here for months and read tons of helpful information Thank you!

We're in the process of refinancing our mortgage and the lender just pulled one last credit report...then asked us to clear up a few items. When we pulled our credit reports in January, Experian didn't have ANY records for my husband - he had absolutely ZERO information there and no credit score with them. It was crazy, we even called to check on it and they said that none of his creditors had ever reported to them. Sounded strange considering our joint accounts had reported to Experian for me.

Fast forward to yesterday - apparently Experian decided that they would update his information and not only finally report his records (all clean), but thought it be a good idea to combine his records with another man that happens to have the same first and last name - but different middle name. Unreal. The other man is a homeless man from Florida with a ton of collections, most of them from ERs in Florida and Georgia (we're in MD). Along the way he also got a cell phone and ran up a Verizon bill. So now it's on our shoulders to clear all of this up and prove it's not my husband...and that the 20 or so different addresses this other guy had weren't us, nor were the 5 different SS#s he listed. Now how does a credit bureau have all of those different addresses, aliases and social security #s and still manage to stick them in the wrong person's file??? We've spent about 6 hours on this already and I'm getting the feeling it's going to be a long fight.

So, if anyone has any insight, advice, good contact info, etc., it would be much appreciated! Thank you!

My Fico: 757 Hubby's: 770....w/ 648 @ Experian thanks to their mistakes Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian Help - wrong person on credit report!

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. The same thing just happened to me as well with EX. There is a person with the same name as me in Utah (I live in CA) and I had his bankruptcy and judgement for child support added onto my reports. I made calls to the courthouses and they verified it was not me because the SSN and DOB did not match. The only recourse I had was to dispute the items with EX because it is a 3rd party that obtains the info for public records. I spoke to a nice rep at EX (the only one after the dozen or so that I have talked to) and he wasn't even sure why it was added. The 3rd party only reported the name. I wish you all the luck!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ADF,
Call each of the credit bureaus directly and go directly to the option that allows you to speak to the fraud department. Then dispute the various SSNs, any DOBs, all the addresses, etc. Then ask if you can "add an indicator" so that your DH's middle name, or at least middle initial, is included for any future credit.

Then go through and dispute each account one-by-one.

It will be a heckuva long phone call, I would do one credit bureau per day. We've had to do this for my DH b/c he is a "Jr" and his Dad is "Sr." It took quite a while with each bureau (35-40 min, each) and we only had ONE name and three addresses, plus about 5 accounts to dispute.

Good luck! It takes a while, but give it 2 months or so and they will disappear.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to ask for special handling-

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.