cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Rep Says Medical Debt Stays Until June.

tag
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

Experian Rep Says Medical Debt Stays Until June.

A friend who has an open dispute on one open collections account for medical debt with Experian, just had another show up. He called to dispute this one and was told that while they were happy to process the dispute, he was told that medical debt will remain on credit reports until June of this year. Curious if anyone has had luck with getting Experian to remove medical debt?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Experian Rep Says Medical Debt Stays Until June.

This goes into effect July 1, 2023 for PAID medical debts . They also changed  unpaid medical debt can not be reported for 1 year as opposed to 6 months .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

This goes into effect July 1, 2023 for PAID medical debts .

Nope. Paid medical debt was removed as of July of 2022. The agreement said that unpaid medical debt would stop showing up during the first half of 2023. Equifax and Transunion will remove it if one asks (usually on the same day), but the Experian seems less clear on their policy. Some reps seem to say they are waiting until July of this year and others seem to indicate it will happen faster. Have to wait to see what happens for my friend, as he has two disputes ongoing with them.

They also changed  unpaid medical debt can not be reported for 1 year as opposed to 6 months .

That also went into effect over a year ago.
Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Unpaid medical debt under $500 is what's been removed, and no longer reportable going forward 

July 2023 is when paid medical debt is supposed to be removed. Unpaid medical debt over $500 stays on CR until paid or no longer than 7.5 years. 

Reporting policy has changed to 1 year as stated upthread by @Jnbmom 

Message 4 of 9
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Unpaid medical debt under $500 is what's been removed, and no longer reportable going forward 

Again, nope. Paid medical debt is what was removed as of 1 July 2022:

Here are the details of the new changes effective July 1, 2022:

July 2023 is when paid medical debt is supposed to be removed.

Again nope, you have it reversed.

Unpaid medical debt over $500 stays on CR until paid or no longer than 7.5 years. 

Yes.

Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Unpaid medical debt over $500 stays.

Under $500 won't be reported 

I'm really not sure which part you're disagreeing with, but that's fine. I don't have a horse in collections race. 

Screenshot_20230203_122109_Chrome.jpg

Also, joint CRA press release

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220318005244/en/Equifax-Experian-and-TransUnion-Support-U.S...

Message 6 of 9
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Unpaid medical debt over $500 stays.

Under $500 won't be reported 

I'm really not sure which part you're disagreeing with, but that's fine. I don't have a horse in collections race. 

I am disagreeing with the order in which you say things will happen.

What you said above:

@Remedios wrote:

July 2023 is when paid medical debt is supposed to be removed. Unpaid medical debt over $500 stays on CR until paid or no longer than 7.5 years. 

The article you quote, and the press release both have show the opposite. Paid debt was removed last year, unpaid debt under $500 will be removed "sometime in the first half of 2023".

Screenshot_20230203_122109_Chrome.jpg

Also, joint CRA press release

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220318005244/en/Equifax-Experian-and-TransUnion-Support-U.S...

Message 7 of 9
telove1
New Visitor

I sent a letter to all three credit bureaus using the HIPAA law and Experian removed my medical collection in a few days. Equifax and TransUnion still have not removed my medical collections. Did you have success with Equifax and TransUnion by calling and asking for it to be removed?

Message 8 of 9
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@telove1 wrote:

I sent a letter to all three credit bureaus using the HIPAA law and Experian removed my medical collection in a few days. Equifax and TransUnion still have not removed my medical collections. Did you have success with Equifax and TransUnion by calling and asking for it to be removed?

The friend who had the collections from Equifax and Transunion, had one removed with a call and the other with a normal dispute filed on their site, explaining that it was medical collections under $500 and should be removed. Experian still has not removed it. He is going to wait until the end of the month and try again.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.