Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian showing way lower in denial letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian showing way lower in denial letter

So this is weird, I app'd for a Williams Sonoma card which is a Comenity card (the only other Comenity card I have is an Express card, which I got with the SCT), and the denial letter shows an abysmal 540 something through Experian, but I track Experian in real time and as of yesterday it should be around 643. My Experian hasn't been below 600 in about a year. Weird..?!

4 REPLIES 4
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Experian showing way lower in denial letter

I don't believe Comenity uses a standard Fico8 score, while I can't quickly find a source to quote I remember seeing somewhere they use an older Card score (Fico5 Card maybe?).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So this is weird, I app'd for a Williams Sonoma card which is a Comenity card (the only other Comenity card I have is an Express card, which I got with the SCT), and the denial letter shows an abysmal 540 something through Experian, but I track Experian in real time and as of yesterday it should be around 643. My Experian hasn't been below 600 in about a year. Weird..?!

There isn't a single Experian score, there are many FICO score models using Experian data. Comenity was no doubt using a different model. In the adverse action letter it might tell you what the lowest and highest possible scores are. That would give us a clue as to which scoring model they used.

According to @gdale6 Comenity uses an internal scoring model, unless it specifies a certain FICO scoring model.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow thank you I had no idea! I checked and the letter states the range is 300 to 850. Do you know which model that could be?

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow thank you I had no idea! I checked and the letter states the range is 300 to 850. Do you know which model that could be?

That narrows it down to 3 versions:

FICO 8

FICO 3

FICO 2

I'm guessing they used FICO 2.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.