Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKO scores confuse me..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FAKO scores confuse me..

Why am I being penalized for decreasing my balance? No wonder I can't get any increases on my Synchrony cards. 

91773dfc-6b06-4b15-b233-c37cb28c49e0.png

8 REPLIES 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: FAKO scores confuse me..

It's likely because of other information added as well so even though the amount went down is a plus it is probably taking into account other information that was updated/added that negatively affected it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

It's likely because of other information added as well so even though the amount went down is a plus it is probably taking into account other information that was updated/added that negatively affected it.

That was the only thing that updated. My Equifax is still way higher than my now TransUnion. Discover updates on the 23rd on all reports.. except TU reported it today for some reason. I don't understand why the decrease in balance affected only TU negatively. 

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I would tend to think this is the possibility.  The alert may have included the latest decrease in utilization, but it's fairly possible other factors were included as part of the score fluctuation, such as your recently reported new accounts. 

What source was the update from?

ETA - your thread was moved to the General Credit Topics section as that is the most appropriate area for these types of discussions.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I would tend to think this is the possibility.  The alert may have included the latest decrease in utilization, but it's fairly possible other factors were included as part of the score fluctuation, such as your recently reported new accounts. 

What source was the update from?

ETA - your thread was moved to the General Credit Topics section as that is the most appropriate area for these types of discussions.

My actual FICO8's are all fine, no dramatic changes. This source is from CKarma (VS 3.0). I follow that a little more closely now that Synchrony uses it (VS 4.0) for CLI's nowadays.

Message 5 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Keep us posted I'm very curious as to what it says is the issue?!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

VS3.0 showed me similar wonky scoring behavior last month when Synch purged my old Amazon derog. The account was old (6-1/2 years), but was a paid chargeoff that has been closed at zero balance for 5 years. The day of the update, my reports reflected two positive changes (IIRC one account aging past 3 months and one less account over 30%), plus the removal of the chargeoff. Net result was a drop of over 70 VS points. Seems to me that getting an account into good UTI territory and aging an account past 3 months, plus deleting a derog, should show a gain, but VS3.0 put more weight on the age of the derog than on the fact that it was basically the worst status a derog could have.

This kind of screwy scoring basis defies logic in my mind.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

513credit There is no doubt that something else happened other other than lowering the balance between this update and the last.

But the real reason I write is to address your concern with Synchrony. You can no more predict VS4 (which synchrony uses) from VS3 (that CK uses) than you could EX2 from EX8. VS4 is the first algorithm I’m aware of that uses trended data.

Therefore the difference between version 3 and 4 is so significant that there’s no way version 3 is going to offer much insight into version 4, but if you have a synchrony account you can follow your version 4.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not sure what happened but my scores are back to normal now. 

Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 9.07.36 PM.png

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.