Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FMC...Does making a payment on the 30 day make it 30 late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FMC...Does making a payment on the 30 day make it 30 late

When my sister was going through a divorce 2 years ago she needed me to co-sign on a car loan for her with Ford credit. this past September she traded the car in at the same dealership and leased a new car from them. Last month on the 17th I got a credit alert from TU that I was 30 days late with FMC and my Fako went from 770's down to 698. Contacted the dealer and it turned out the old loan didn't get paid off until 18 days after she traded it in. Dealership was very helpful and provided a letter explaining their error and that FMC agreed they would correct the 30 day. After a week without it being corrected I started to call the number the dealer gave me a question the delay. I talked with over a Sr Acct Analysts and each one made it seem like they are doing me a favor. Finally this past Wednesday EX updated removing the Sept late but added 5 different 30 days...WTH! For the life of this loan I have over 30 hard copy reports from the 3 agencies and not once has there been a late reported. I called Ford thinking this must be a mistake but was told there were 5 payments my sister made on the 13th on the month for payments due on the 14th of the prior month, each month in question was exactly 30 day late. I know with Mortgage's a 30 day is clearly defined and any payment made beyond the last day of the month but with auto loans I'm not finding any guidance one way or another.  

Anyone have any idea how I should approach this?

Has anyone made similar payments with FMC and been dinged?   

Thinking of filing a complaint with the CFPB, anyone else?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: FMC...Does making a payment on the 30 day make it 30 late

The reporting of a 30-late is not defined under the FCRA.

It is a policy definition established by the CRAs jointly in their common credit reporting manual ("Credit Reporting Resource Guide").

A reportable 30-late is defined as a payment made 30-59 days after the billing due date.

Yes, a late payment that is exactly 30 days after the billing due date is a legitimate, reportable 30-late.

Message 2 of 6
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Wow, that sucks. Going from one late because of the pay-off and getting hit with 5 lates that were over-looked/ignored previously.

It may be worth getting some professional advice on this one (lawyer) as having that many lates on your credit is going to be bad for years to come.

Thank you for sharing the story. I always tell friends and family to pay the next payment of the pay-off is not complete. It make take a few months but you will get the extra payment back.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Success!!! After 2 dozen plus calls with FMC they agreed to remove all 30 day lates. Just pulled my EX report, 0-30

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Success!!! After 2 dozen plus calls with FMC they agreed to remove all 30 day lates. Just pulled my EX report, 0-30

Good job!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet! How much did your scores rebound?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.