Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family ID Theft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Family ID Theft

Hi

I have 1 collection and 1 charge off on my Experian that is really affecting my score. These accounts were unpaid the first month and are both of low balance (102 and 112) which were opened by my mother a couple years back without my permission. Granted I see no point is sending her to jail for her horrible attitude towards credit and her love for money since she has been a great supportive mother besides that both financially while going through college and every other way.

My question is, when I try to clear these two accounts off my report, would it be smart to plead my case as family ID theft in a PFD or GW letter in hopes that they will pitifully remove the accounts completely?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Family ID Theft

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I have 1 collection and 1 charge off on my Experian that is really affecting my score. These accounts were unpaid the first month and are both of low balance (102 and 112) which were opened by my mother a couple years back without my permission. Granted I see no point is sending her to jail for her horrible attitude towards credit and her love for money since she has been a great supportive mother besides that both financially while going through college and every other way.

My question is, when I try to clear these two accounts off my report, would it be smart to plead my case as family ID theft in a PFD or GW letter in hopes that they will pitifully remove the accounts completely?

Can't see that really helping you out as they would have expected you to file a police report and handle thrm thru those channels.  I'd just stick to the basic and use the PFD rout if they are unpaid

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. Anyone else? Maybe someone who has tried the same thing and maybe succeeded or failed?

Message 3 of 7
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

This happened to me as well. My mom opened a bunch of credit cards in my name and financed a motorcycle on a credit card. She got into trouble with it all and they all got charged off. The sad truth is unless you're willing to file a police report and press charges against your mother (which would likely result in jail time), the only thing you can do is pay it off and GW it or offer PFD.

I have had luck with PIF/GW after carefully explaining the situation. It has not worked on every CO/CA, but it has for a couple. I don't know if it was my reason or just the fact that I had paid them. Unfortunately I could not afford to PIF all the accounts and so I'm stuck waiting for the last couple of fall off on their own. I wish you luck OP, I know what it's like to be in this situation and it really bites. My Mom and I have a good relationship otherwise, she has tried to make amends and I know she loves me but it still stinks.

You should definitely explain it to the creditors, it certainly can't hurt and I feel like this happens more often than people realize.

Message 4 of 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Were the accounts established when you were a minor?

You can file a police report stating that you did not open these accounts and that you were a minor at the time of issuance.  *NOTHING* in the law requires you to identify who you suspect may be the culprit.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was when I was already around 18-20 and I is already been like 4 years so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@

Totally the same situation.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.