Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

I get wanting your score to always look as good as possible.  I'm guilty of this as well.

That being said, if you're sitting at 9% utilization, you're really walking the line in terms of that threshold and at any point could be just above or just below it.  If a $350 balance on a $10,000 limit card reporting is enough to push your across that threshold, IMO you're riding it too close.  Your first step should be to take your utilization all the way down to 1-2% if possible.  At that point, it likely wouldn't matter (score wise) if Synchrony reports you off-cycle, as you'd have a good amount of utilization padding there to absorb an abnormality. 

Message 11 of 54
SBR249
Established Contributor

IMO, if this is going to be an ongoing source of frustration, then I'd use that 10K limit and app for a better card. Now that you have a high limit card, other banks will be more willing to give you one as well. Then SD the Sync and move on. 

Message 12 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I get wanting your score to always look as good as possible.  I'm guilty of this as well.

That being said, if you're sitting at 9% utilization, you're really walking the line in terms of that threshold and at any point could be just above or just below it.  If a $350 balance on a $10,000 limit card reporting is enough to push your across that threshold, IMO you're riding it too close.  Your first step should be to take your utilization all the way down to 1-2% if possible.  At that point, it likely wouldn't matter (score wise) if Synchrony reports you off-cycle, as you'd have a good amount of utilization padding there to absorb an abnormality. 

That's correct.  And my close math walking that close line would have worked perfectly if Synchrony had not randomly reported the small balance off cycle.  It is what it is.  My utilization is about to go down, now that I have apped and approvals today.  Will post the data points for the group when everything is together.

Message 13 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it happened to me also with my walmart card wasn't enough to worry about but it did.
Message 14 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's correct.  And my close math walking that close line would have worked perfectly if Synchrony had not randomly reported the small balance off cycle.  It is what it is.  My utilization is about to go down, now that I have apped and approvals today.  Will post the data points for the group when everything is together.

I think the more important question here, while it may veer the conversation off topic is why are you keeping your utilization at 9% rather than say 1%-2%?

Message 15 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the more important question here, while it may veer the conversation off topic is why are you keeping your utilization at 9% rather than say 1%-2%?

My 10% is all at 0% or it's balances which will be PIF before end of cycles.  

Yes, I do take advantage of 0% money to keep my cash position strong and fix problems in my life.  

Message 16 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I know what you mean. My new Marvel card current balance was reported with no statement being cut. It didn’t affect my utilization though.
Message 17 of 54
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

Hey MrDisco99! I love your profile name! I know this is off topic from Synchrony, but as you mentioned, Barclays is very slow to report. They don't run out and report a balance right away, but in the same manner they do take forever to show the PIF $0 balance too. 

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 18 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. My statement cut for my Care Credit was January 15, got the statement and the balance said zero and amount due zero. There were no pending charges either.

January 18th I made a $36.00 purchase at rite aid and got alerts on all my reports on January 21 that there was  an increase of $36.00 on bank cards. Sure enough Synchrony reported the $36. 6 days after statement cut date reported the purchase.

Message 19 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone... I just had this happen with Synchrony on my Amazon Store Card.  I've had it for a few months with a $2,500 SL. Each month I charge about $1,500 on it and then PIF before the statement cut date.  During this cycle, all of a sudden they randomly reported about $1,200 to the bureaus, which obviously shot up my utilization on this card to about 50% and overall to over 20%.  

Has anyone figured out whether there is any rationale behind them doing this and how often it happens (once mid-cycle, etc.) or is it just purely random?

I guess I'll have to either not use their cards (like some of the other people here said) if I'm planning on applying for any other credit, or just PIF after every larger purchase.

Any additional thoughts or guidance is appreciated!

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.