Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

Ugh! I was hoping the mid-cycle reporting was just going to be since I just opened the cards. Well that sucks, I guess I’ll have to push payments when I charge something to PayPal or Amazon. 

Fortunately PayPal is going to be my every day spend card and it has an $8K limit so I’m not worried about $500-$1K getting reported but my Amazon card is only $1800 so I’ll have to watch that one like a hawk. 

Message 21 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh! I was hoping the mid-cycle reporting was just going to be since I just opened the cards. Well that sucks, I guess I’ll have to push payments when I charge something to PayPal or Amazon. 

Fortunately PayPal is going to be my every day spend card and it has an $8K limit so I’m not worried about $500-$1K getting reported but my Amazon card is only $1800 so I’ll have to watch that one like a hawk. 

UPDATE: I called and spoke to them. They claim that they don't report mid-cycle. Rather, they said that their statements cut on different days each month and they only report after the statement.  I asked them for the earliest possible date that the statement cuts and I'll PIF by that date, so we'll see if that actually solves the issue.

Message 22 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion is that if you are going to be applying for credit, you need to not use your Synchrony card.  I have had them report faster than I could PIF..meaning a couple days after the charge settled on the card.   You just can't trust it.  They will destroy your utilization.  They are a good backup card or rainy day card when you know their reporting won't hurt you.

Message 23 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I actually don’t have many card goals left but if I do a push payment from my bank when I do a charge, they will get the payment before the charge posts to the account. It’s just really infuriating that they do this. It’s bad enough that they don’t have transaction alerts for their cards but the mid-cycle reporting is a problem. I guess I’ll keep asking for CLIs on Amazon Store Card every month. 

Message 24 of 54
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

My guess is that Synchrony doesn't like PIF before statement, as they don't seem to like $0 balance statements because you can't get one from them. My Lowes card is seldom used, and when I go to statements the only two that show are Oct. 2018 with a $8.42 balance and April 2018 with a $46.46 balance, all the months with no balance aren't available. And when my Walmart card has a $0 balance no statement is available.

Try paying it down to a small balance of $10 or so and let that report on the statement and see if the phantom reporting stops.

EDIT: While they don't generate a statement with $0 balance they do report the $0 balance to all 3 CRAs.

Message 25 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

My guess is that Synchrony doesn't like PIF before statement, as they don't seem to like $0 balance statements because you can't get one from them. My Lowes card is seldom used, and when I go to statements the only two that show are Oct. 2018 with a $8.42 balance and April 2018 with a $46.46 balance, all the months with no balance aren't available. And when my Walmart card has a $0 balance no statement is available.

Try paying it down to a small balance of $10 or so and let that report on the statement and see if the phantom reporting stops.

To add to that, I just accidentally had a statement cut on the Amazon store card with a $1,200 balance ($2,500 SL) because the statement cut 3 days prior to any other statement so it caught me by surprise, then I paid most of it off, and then asked for a CLI on the website and got it! When I previously asked for a CLI after PIF before the statement, I was denied. Perhaps they like to see a balance carried.

@DaveInAZ- on a different note, did you start your Synchrony PayPal 2% card at a $7k SL or work your way up? They started me at $800 three months ago and I keep getting denied for the CLI. Will try again after this month's statement.

Message 26 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Seriously? When they reported my Amazon card, they turned around and reported when I paid it to $0. If they don’t report my PayPal going to $0 I am going to be annoyed because I’m trying to go to AZEO next month and I am paying down my NFCU BT so if I get stuck with the PayPal reporting $15 I’ll be really ticked off. 

It is really crappy that these companies get to report whenever they feel like it and aren’t required to report a paid balance. 

Message 27 of 54
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ- on a different note, did you start your Synchrony PayPal 2% card at a $7k SL or work your way up? They started me at $800 three months ago and I keep getting denied for the CLI. Will try again after this month's statement.

Ah, I need to update my sig. PayPal 2% gave me $7k SL, it's now up to $10k, same as my Walmart & Lowes cards (not in my sig). Auto CLI to $8k, then I app'd for a CLI to $10k and denied, and then a week or two later they auto CLI's me to $10k, strange. You need to wait until at least the 3rd statement to ask for a CLI. And you need to have TU unfrozen or unlocked even though it's a SP, I found that out the hard way - denied and when the letter arrived it said because TU was "frozen", I keep it locked with my free TrueIdentity service from TU.

Message 28 of 54
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Seriously? When they reported my Amazon card, they turned around and reported when I paid it to $0. If they don’t report my PayPal going to $0 I am going to be annoyed because I’m trying to go to AZEO next month and I am paying down my NFCU BT so if I get stuck with the PayPal reporting $15 I’ll be really ticked off. 

It is really crappy that these companies get to report whenever they feel like it and aren’t required to report a paid balance. 

I edited my post to be more clear - while they don't generate a statement with $0 balance that you can access they do report the $0 balance to all 3 CRAs.

Message 29 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I edited my post to be more clear - while they don't generate a statement with $0 balance that you can access they do report the $0 balance to all 3 CRAs.

Ah, okay. 

Yeah I push my payments so I don’t care about a $0 statement, I just want my balance that is paid to show $0. 

I wont care about it as much once the impact of my credit seeking drops but right now I took a huge score beating with my December/January spree where I added NFCU CLOC, NFCU Plat, BBVA, Sync Amazon and Sync PayPal in addition to paying off my only installment loan. Having my EQ down to 659 and EX down to 662, I can use all the score lifts I can get while things age. 

Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.