Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

tag
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

Re: Fed up with Synchrony's reporting

This is a long thread and I haven't had a chance to read all posts yet. If someone has already provided the same informaion, apologies...

I may have a useful data point on this question...in a nutshell:

A PayPal credit rep says they do mid-cycle balance reports on new credit if at any time during the cycle a customer exceeds 40% of the CL.  Accounts are considered new for 6 months.

I was approved recently DEC 13, for a Paypal Cashback Mastercard with a $2500 CL.  Approval was the 13th of Dec.  I made about $122 in charges before my first statement cut on Dec 24.  I pushed a payment for the full amount from my bank, and my balance zeroed at Sync before I made any further charges.    Over the next few weeks, enamored of the 2% cash back, I used the card regularly instead of debit and racked up slightly more than $1000.00 in charges.  I was checking with Experian credit monitoring app today and noticed by credit score taking a pretty big hit, which was unexpected.  Looking for a possible cause, I noticed a mid-cycle report of the $1,000 from Sync.

I made altogether 4 calls to their PayPal Credit service center number before getting what I thought might be the right answer. 

Representative No 4 informed me that... it was Synchrony's policy, across ALL credit products, with new accounts, to file mid-cycel report whenever an account balance crosses a threshold of 40% of the CL.

This is why they reported when my balance went over $1000.

I asked how long 'new credit' is regarded as new and the rep indicated that it was for a period of 6 months. (that it required 6 months before Sync would regard the history long enough to establish a clear pattern of use of the card).  I also asked if PP credit regarded my spending as reckless or in any way a violation of my card agreement, and the rep assured me that I was fine and that my spending would not effect my ability to get a CL (I would think it helps, but I regards the mid-cycle report as a quirky but mild form of AA).

It's a little difficult to be certain that the rep provided accurate/complete disclosure on this, but it seemed to have the 'ring of truth' to me.

First post here, BTW.  I've enjoyed reading forum posts for a while now, but only recently joined the community.

It does not seem that I'm allowed to add tags and such until the administrators upgrade my account status, but here's basic info on my file(s) with CCBs:

prior to Syncrhony's mid-cycle report of my 1,000 balance ( 40% utilization on that account)

Fico 8 Bankscore Ex 749, EQ 752, TU ?   Fico 8 scores, similar, Ex 744, EQ 742, TU 742

Utlization: 1.1% ($220 of 18,100 total credit line), AAofA 10 months, AoOA 19 mo, inquiries  12 mo 2, 4, 4

Highest limit: $6,000

AFTER SYNC mid-cycle balance report:

Utilization 7%, $1,220, 40% ($1000/$2500) on Synchrony account

Fico 8 Bankcard: 749-> 737

(dropped from 'very good' to "good' credit category according to Experian).  Impact on other scores not yet known.

Credit Profile (FEB 2024)
F8 EX 767 EQ 770, TU 773, F8 BC EX 784, EQ BC 789, F9 EX 777
TCL: $124,200, reporting available: $120,995
cc utilization: 3%, auto loan: $5,456/$6850
AoOA 5Y 9M, AAoA 3Y 3M, AoYA 7M
new cc accounts 3/24, 2/12, 0/6, 0/3, INQs 12 months EX 2, EQ 1, TU 1

Personal Cards (15)
Chase/Amazon Prime Visa, Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America CCR, American Express BCP+CM, GS Apple Card (MC)
PenFed PC Rewards, Citibank DoubleCash, Discover IT + BT, Regions Cash Rewards, Wells Fargo AC, CapOne QS, Synchrony PPMC +
Closed (1): Synchony Amazon Prime

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 51 of 54
Oops_I_Did_It_Again
Regular Contributor

@Oops_I_Did_It_Again wrote:

... my spending would not effect my ability to get a CL (I would think it helps, but I regard the mid-cycle report as a quirky but mild form of AA).

Sorry, meant "would not effect my ability to get a CLI" (credit line increase)

Credit Profile (FEB 2024)
F8 EX 767 EQ 770, TU 773, F8 BC EX 784, EQ BC 789, F9 EX 777
TCL: $124,200, reporting available: $120,995
cc utilization: 3%, auto loan: $5,456/$6850
AoOA 5Y 9M, AAoA 3Y 3M, AoYA 7M
new cc accounts 3/24, 2/12, 0/6, 0/3, INQs 12 months EX 2, EQ 1, TU 1

Personal Cards (15)
Chase/Amazon Prime Visa, Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America CCR, American Express BCP+CM, GS Apple Card (MC)
PenFed PC Rewards, Citibank DoubleCash, Discover IT + BT, Regions Cash Rewards, Wells Fargo AC, CapOne QS, Synchrony PPMC +
Closed (1): Synchony Amazon Prime

Business Cards (1)
American Express BBC
Message 52 of 54
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

I’ve had both Amazon and Marvel MC report off cycle. It seems to happen mostly on newer cards and any large purchase or rise in utilization.
Message 53 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LittleSal wrote:
I’ve had both Amazon and Marvel MC report off cycle. It seems to happen mostly on newer cards and any large purchase or rise in utilization.

Yep. Happens with any amount when I had SD'd the card for a few months. 

Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.