cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico says short credit history with avg age = 11 years?

tag
SquirrelParty
Established Member

Fico says short credit history with avg age = 11 years?

This is what my FICO score says... whats up with this and what do I do about it?

There are some dings on my credit report but short credit history is not one of them.  There are footnotes about what "FICO high achievers" have for length of credit history and it is shorter than mine.

I don't even know how to dispute this?

You have a short credit history.        

Your oldest account was opened 29 Years, 1 Month ago Average age of your accounts 11 years
FICO High Achievers opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.
Most FICO High Achievershave an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

Your FICO score measures the age of your oldest account and the average age of your accounts. In your case, either your oldest account was opened recently or the average age of your accounts is relatively low. People that do not frequently open new accounts and have longer credit histories generally pose less risk to lenders. Therefore, as your credit history lengthens and you pay your bills on time, this factor should have less of a negative impact on your score.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Fico says short credit history with avg age = 11 years?

I would ignore this scoring reason ~ this is one of those situations where FICO has to come up with a certain number of factors affecting your score.   I'm guessing that this is probably not the primary reason why your scores could be higher.    

Curious, is your score in the "good" or "great" range already ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Fico says short credit history with avg age = 11 years?

There is nothing to dispute as it is correct. It simply means that as your information worked its way through the scoring algorithm, there was a point when you lost at least a point when compared to a group that had longer history than yours. For that to be a large enough point hit that it was listed in the top 3 or 4 reasons that you lost points means that there was VERY little negative on your report. At some point, your history was being compared against a group with really long history.

How high was it on the list of negative reasons? If it is #1, you have a very good score. When my history of 28 years and 10 years average was listed as #3 a couple years ago, mine was 780+.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.