cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico scores over 800 should I try to get higher?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico scores over 800 should I try to get higher?

I will be applying for a mortgage for a second home.  My fico 2 4 and 5 scores are 804, 810 and 811.  Should I try to get them higher ?   Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Fico scores over 800 should I try to get higher?

@Anonymous wrote:

I will be applying for a mortgage for a second home.  My fico 2 4 and 5 scores are 804, 810 and 811.  Should I try to get them higher ?   Thanks

I doubt that there's anything to accomplish by getting them higher.

If you got them any higher the loan officer might find you to be suspicious Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, assuming those are mortgage scores you are already in the top tier for interest rates. 

Having scores higher than what you have will not get you a better rate.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replies.  Yes. These are mortgage scores so I believe they taken the middle score.  I'll keep doing what I am doing and not worry so much.  

Message 4 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good.  Your scores give you a large enough buffer that you'd have to screw something up pretty badly to fail to qualify for best terms.  Just keep on doing what you've been doing.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 11
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Those are fantastic scores, you will have no problem getting your pick of loans! Good luck in the home buying journey! 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, are you implementing AZEO currently?  If not, try it for S&Gs as it may increase your scores a bit more.  To echo what the others have already said, greater scores won't equate to better rates based on where you're already at, but a few more points definitely can't hurt.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Just starting this month to do AZEO.  I use 4-5 cards a month and pay off all balances when do.  So I'll pay off all but one prior to the statement closing date.  Is there a certain % balance that is ideal to leave on the single card with a balance at statement closing?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really, but anything like $5-$20 would be fine.  You could take it up to 8% or so of the CL and be fine as well.

Message 9 of 11
dunn2500
Established Contributor

anything over 780/790 is same as 850.......thats what i have heard anyways

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.