Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico shouldn't take 6 months to generate scores

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Fico shouldn't take 6 months to generate scores

It's been about 3 months from my 18th Birthday and I've been gardening ever since my spree on my Birthday while I wait for my FICO score to come out. Everyone in this forum always assumes I have a FICO score and I don't blame them because everyone else does. A lot of topics I get involved in often end up with someone asking what my FICO score is and then I keep telling them I don't have them yet and then they say what I should do once I get them. Other times I can't post comparisons and FICO statistics in these forums and this includes the myFICO fitness challenge which I don't like missing out on. I wish FICO would just be like FAKO and provide score after like 1 month. Oh yeah I'm not wishing for a FICO score sooner in order to have a score for credit application. 6 months is a good time to garden before I get my citi credit card application. Although it does suck that a 5 month old credit 'score is like a 1 day old credit 'score' except for the fact that the 5 month one might have more inquiries. My main issue is not being able to be as active in these forums as I could be without the scores.

Edit:I also want to know if my $500 PLOC is revolving or installment on FICO. on my FAKO, the PLOC is an installment loan.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico shouldn't take 6 months to generate scores

So you feel a FICO score should be generated sooner simply because you want to be more active on these forums.  I must say, now I've heard it all.

On the timeline of one's credit life, 5-6 months is about equal to pissing in the ocean.

Message 2 of 16
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So you feel a FICO score should be generated sooner simply because you want to be more active on these forums.  I must say, now I've heard it all.

On the timeline of one's credit life, 5-6 months is about equal to pissing in the ocean.

I also want to know if my $500 PLOC is revolving or installment on FICO. on my FAKO, the PLOC is an installment loan.

History of my credit
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't think that different scoring models would interpret the coding of an account differently.  How the account impacts scoring could differ between models (like a mortgage on VS 3.0 vs FICO models) but how the account is coded I would expect to remain consistent.

Message 4 of 16
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I've always been active in the forums since I found it even when I was in the same boat as you.
Message 5 of 16
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

I understand your disappointment with having to wait 6 months for a FICO score to generate. My daughter received her first card from Capital One (QS) on June 24, 2016 at 18-years-old. She checked her annual credit reports on December 29, 2016 and her Capital One account and student loans were listed on all 3 credit bureaus. She then pulled her free Discover scorecard to see if a FICO score had been generated and indeed she had a FICO score of 722. She immediately apped for a Discover student card and was approved for $500, along with another Capital One card (platinum) for $500. She now has a total of 3 revolving lines in her name and will build on these for the next 4 years. Her income is only $15,000, will be less this year because her grades are slipping (less work, more studying). But anyway....

Once you hit the 6-month mark, I suggest pulling your FICO score before apping to ensure you have one. Tyr to reframe from applying for too many cards at once. BEST WISHES!!!

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 6 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

Imagine starting at 40+ years old with nothing in your report. 

The good thing is that you can get a couple of cards, wait 6 months and have a FICO around 720-730. I bet if you follow the secured loan technique maybe even 750. You will get better SL when you get your score and some history.

Message 7 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also want to know if my $500 PLOC is revolving or installment on FICO. on my FAKO, the PLOC is an installment loan.

Usually they report as a revolving account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

It's been about 3 months from my 18th Birthday and I've been gardening ever since my spree on my Birthday while I wait for my FICO score to come out. Everyone in this forum always assumes I have a FICO score and I don't blame them because everyone else does. A lot of topics I get involved in often end up with someone asking what my FICO score is and then I keep telling them I don't have them yet and then they say what I should do once I get them. Other times I can't post comparisons and FICO statistics in these forums and this includes the myFICO fitness challenge which I don't like missing out on. I wish FICO would just be like FAKO and provide score after like 1 month. Oh yeah I'm not wishing for a FICO score sooner in order to have a score for credit application. 6 months is a good time to garden before I get my citi credit card application. Although it does suck that a 5 month old credit 'score is like a 1 day old credit 'score' except for the fact that the 5 month one might have more inquiries. My main issue is not being able to be as active in these forums as I could be without the scores.

Edit:I also want to know if my $500 PLOC is revolving or installment on FICO. on my FAKO, the PLOC is an installment loan.

Don't be in such a rush to get into debt. It's not really as much fun as we on the MyFICO Forum make it out to be Smiley Happy

I rue the day I was given advice, all correct, which I followed, about how to 'build my credit'; it led to a world of pain. I would have been much better off following my parents' advice, which was not to borrow. Period.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 16
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Don't be in such a rush to get into debt. It's not really as much fun as we on the MyFICO Forum make it out to be Smiley Happy

I rue the day I was given advice, all correct, which I followed, about how to 'build my credit'; it led to a world of pain. I would have been much better off following my parents' advice, which was not to borrow. Period.

Tell your world of pain story please.

History of my credit
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.