Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First hard pull in over 4 years dropped my score 6 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First hard pull in over 4 years dropped my score 6 points

I have not applied nor had a hard pull on my credit report in over 4 years.   Yesterday...I switch my internet provider to AT&T wich required a hard pull and today I get an alert that my score dropped 6 points.    It's still well above very good...but the logic doesn't make sense!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First hard pull in over 4 years dropped my score 6 points

I'm not sure what you mean by the logic doesn't make sense?  There are diminishing returns when it comes to HPs, that is, the first one will cause the most impact and once you get to a certain number (say 12-14) they stop adversely impacting score.  The fact that you only lost 6 points in going from 0 to 1 inquiry is actually pretty good.  I've seen people report losing 10 points or so.  When I went from 0 to 2 inquiries on EX earlier this year, I lost 14 points.  When I went from 0 to 1 on EQ, I lost 9 points. 

Points lost from inquiries come back within 6 months usually, but no more than 12 months.

Message 2 of 3
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: First hard pull in over 4 years dropped my score 6 points

1 hp in 4 yrs = 6 lost points? Ill take it anytimeSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.