Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible spending credit card ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flexible spending credit card ?

My bbt cash rewards card is reporting as a flexible spending credit card.what does it mean ? .ive never seen that before.thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Flexible spending credit card ?

Not too much. You can go above your credit limit technically.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flex Spend means that your credit limit isn’t a hard stop. They may approve purchases over your credit limit.

If approved, the amount over your set limit is due in full on your next statement cut.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thats a good feature but i dont plan on getting anywhere close to my limit .but you never know in this old world
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the distant past and I assume today, you are allowed to exceed the credit line/limit assigned to the credit card. Generally, the flexible spending option required the amount exceeding the assign credit line/limit to be repayed with the next statement period plus the required minimum payment as established in the credit card Terms & Conditions.

Now a qualifier, most lenders used to state they would approve over the credit line/limit expenditures on a purchase by purchase basis. You say what, they use their computer systems to monitor your other card activities in the bureau, DTI and what you have outstanding against the card before approving that a purchase may be made. All this happens quickly today.

Unlike American Express that essentially says you can spend what ever we allow depending on our ongoing systems, flexible spending is more tied to your credit line/limit. In truth, it operates similar to American Express.

Years back, around  August 2015 both Visa and MasterCard discontinued the requirement that all credit cards with credit lines/limits over $5,000 shall be offering revolving "flexible spending" options. Slowly over time some lenders have eliminated the option. So, it is a nice benefit just in case or your traveling and need a little extra flex until you can get back home.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Thank you 

Message 6 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Yeah, my USB Cash + reported that way too. I guess it just means that you could go over your limit if necessary. I never tried it out though lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Yeah, my USB Cash + reported that way too. I guess it just means that you could go over your limit if necessary. I never tried it out though lol 

Where is your USB Cash+ we had a club? Maybe ... Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

That's exactly what it means, assuming that the issuer will authorize the charge.

The only issuer I've ever done it with was Chase when I had a very large medical bill, and there were never any repercussions.  They didn't even blink an eye.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.