Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forget about buying a house?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget about buying a house?

Forget the common wisdom about home-buyers' tax advantages:   Your new home will be a liability.   That new home of yours will not generate income or capital gains for you until the day you sell it — if then. It will, however, be sucking money from your bank accounts every single month. Electrical bills and utility bills may also increase, and dramatically. Mortgage payments will almost certainly be larger than your previous rental payments. And now you'll have to worry about your home's lawn maintenance and roof maintenance and electrical maintenance and . . ..

Message Edited by bobkelly on 07-02-2007 09:37 PM
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Forget about buying a house?

bobkelly wrote:
Forget the common wisdom about home-buyers' tax advantages:   Your new home will be a liability.   That new home of yours won't generate income or capital gains for you until the day you sell it — if then. It will, however, be sucking money from your bank accounts every single month. Electrical bills and utility bills may also increase, and dramatically. Mortgage payments will almost certainly be larger than your previous rental payments. And now you'll have to worry about your home's lawn maintenance and roof maintenance and electrical maintenance and . . ..

I disagree, a mortgage is a forced savings! And your link up there or whatever it is is humbug!

Message Edited by fused111 on 07-02-2007 04:16 PM
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobkelly wrote:
Forget the common wisdom about home-buyers' tax advantages:   Your new home will be a liability.   That new home of yours won't generate income or capital gains for you until the day you sell it — if then. It will, however, be sucking money from your bank accounts every single month. Electrical bills and utility bills may also increase, and dramatically. Mortgage payments will almost certainly be larger than your previous rental payments. And now you'll have to worry about your home's lawn maintenance and roof maintenance and electrical maintenance and . . ..

What the heck??? Real estate value has increased at an average rate of 4% EVERY YEAR since the 1930's... COMPOUNDED INCREASES that typically help retirees pay for end of life care, young resposible couples to move into more suitable homes to fit their growing families. Even if you rent a shack in the middle of nowhere, you'll need to pay for electricity and other utilities.

This blows my mind!!!

Rob
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how do you make money on your home mortgage?  YOU DON"T until you sell it ....It's a liability until you sell it and cash out.  A liability costs you money, and generates no income. Sounds like a home mortage to me. 
Message 4 of 23
smallfry
Senior Contributor

RE is only good as long as it is increasing in value. Most areas are seeing price drops the last year or so and I think it is going to get a bunch worse before it stabilizes. There are still pockets of strength but I would not be a buyer at these levels. There can be other reasons for owning than economic though especially if you have a family. IF you can buy right and don't mind not seeing appreciation go ahead and buy. Friend of mine sold a two bedroom condo and flipped it for a larger ranch home in an over 55 for the same price. You can get deals but don't expect your house to be an ATM like it has the past 20 years or so.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you start with a home value of $300,000 30 year fixed @ 7% payment equals >>> $1,995.91

Total payments after 360 months >>> $718,527.60

Compounded interest @ 4% per year (average RE growth) >>>> $973,019.25

Net ROI >>> $254,491.40

That's how you make money on a mortgage... If you think it will cost more than that to maintain your home... You've got some issues.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you have not even talked about  the tax benefits!
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

And when you rent......you might as well be throwing your money in the trash. When ya move out of your rental....you have nothing to show for it. I bought my house in 2001, and already have about 72,000.00 equity in it. What you got, bob????
Message 8 of 23
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Forget the common wisdom about home-buyers' tax advantages:   Your new home will be a liability.   That new home of yours will not generate income or capital gains for you until the day you sell it — if then. It will, however, be sucking money from your bank accounts every single month. Electrical bills and utility bills may also increase, and dramatically. Mortgage payments will almost certainly be larger than your previous rental payments. And now you'll have to worry about your home's lawn maintenance and roof maintenance and electrical maintenance and . . ..

Message Edited by bobkelly on 07-02-2007 09:37 PM

I agree with Midnight...

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Isn't there anybody in these message boards who instead of raising their FICO to get into more and more debt, wants to BE DEBT FREE?!?!?!

Hmmmm. I am tempted be less than supportive Smiley Very Happy But I will refrain Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^^^^ Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.