Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Alert re-appearing unprompted?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Fraud Alert re-appearing unprompted?

I've gotten a couple of alerts today indicating that a fraud alert was added to my TU report.  Last year I did add one after an identity theft issue, and it was the extended alert, but i haven't done anything with it since.

Is it unusual for the alert to just sort of re-appear with a new date on it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fraud Alert re-appearing unprompted?

Under the FCRA, a fraud alert is only imposed upon request by a consumer of their designated representative.

However, creditors and the CRAs will sometimes send or inpose a fraud alert on their own as your "representative" whenever any fraud or identity theft related matter has been detected.  While probably not proper in that you did not specifically designate them as your rep for that purpose, it is not really a bad thing, as a consuner can always remove any fraud alert at any time.

I would suspect that someone notified the CRA, or the CRA detected, possible fraud, and placed an alert.

Not a biggie.

Message 2 of 4
torry590
Regular Contributor

I have had a FA in the past (extended as well) it would update every once in a while sometimes if I had a dispute opened, they would reset the alert with the dispute.  The alert would say it remains 7 years from the date (which was the date of the dispute)

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 3 of 4
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or similar experiences?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.