Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud - buereau alerts this morning

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud - buereau alerts this morning

Woke up this am to alerts from all 3 bureaus that Citi Bank Credit Cards had done a hard inquir yesterday.  I know it wasnt me as I'm gardening until I app for a mortgage, never had to deal with this.  The inquiry cost me about 8 points which was surprising, still in the 740's though.  Has anyone dealt with this, should I call citi first or go straight to the bureaus and dispute?

Is it wierd that I'd like to know how much they were approved for?  HA!  

22 REPLIES 22
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Fraud - buereau alerts this morning

I would call Citi and see if an account was opened in your name and if so have it cancelled. I would also contact the bureaus and dispute inquiry as well as placing a fraud alert on your reports.
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Baller.  Heres what I've done, I called Citi and they confirmed there was an app pending.  Wasnt' approved yet b/c theyneeded to verify information b/c whomever apped used an address in a different state. Should couldnt give much detail but did offer to send me the app in the mail.

I will call the bureaus and place a fraud alert.  We are going to app for a mortgage in the next 30-60 days so I'm wondering how a fraud alert will lookand how long does it stay on the bureau?

Message 3 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

You can call and lift the alert once you are ready to app your mortgage. I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my reports vulnerable like that since it's obvious someone has your info. In fact, it were me, I would freeze all 3 till time to app mortgage.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

As always you've got great advice Baller.  thanks, I'm going to do it now on all 3. Crazy thing is I just got another alert from eq that CCiti did ANTOTHER hard inquiry today. So one from yesterday and 1 from today.

Message 5 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

Freeze freeze freeze those bureaus pronto!!! You can do it right online on each bureau's website.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will freezing them prevent citi from removing the hard inquiries?

Message 7 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

No it will not. They can still remove the unauthorized inqs. It just prevents anyone from putting new inqs on your reports.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Info I wanted to pass along.  When you file the fraud alert with EQ on their automated system (very easy) they notify the other bureaus and have it added to them as well.

Citi, was actually great to deal with on this, spoke to a very nice rep who handeled everything and sent I request to the appropriate department to have the inquies removed.

Message 9 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

WTG!! Glad it all worked out for you!
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.