Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud by a collection agency

tag
creatorprime
Valued Member

Fraud by a collection agency

About a day ago I received a phone call from a company claiming to be a legal entity and wanting to serve me papers telling me that I was being sued by doctor for the amount of $1,000 none of this makes sense since nothing had hit my credit report about owing medical bills none of this makes sense because the gentleman talking to me just didn't seem right I asked him what the name of his legal firm was to which he replied investigative recovery services once he told me the name immediately I hopped on my laptop and Google them found out that they were a credit collection agency I asked the gentleman why would you lie to me and tell me he was a law firm this angered him as the conversation went on he kept getting angrier and angrier that I had to somehow uncovered a state secret. After I got off the phone with this gentleman not even 10 minutes later I received an alert on my phone from Experian tell me someone had just tried to take out a loan under my name at no point in the conversation at no point throughout the entire day in the last week have I given anyone permission to take a loan out under my name once I got the alert and I found out who the alert was from I immediately contacted the authorities and filed a complaint I have a police report but I almost feel like it's pointless like the police aren't doing anything about it so I don't know what else to do I place a fraud alert on my Experian report and I've  taken extra measures to make sure my credit stays in good standing any advice on the next steps I should take or who I should contact I personally was thinking about contacting maybe financial services or financial investigative services that police use because I feel violated.Screenshot_20200817-182205_Experian.jpg

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creatorprime
Valued Member

Re: Fraud buy a collection agency

Screenshot_20200819-010922_Experian.jpg

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You should contact a consumer protection attorney. I would then reach out to the CFPB and the state attorney general's office for Florida.

Message 3 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Did the police ask for the phone number (log) that was used to make contact with you?  Glad you had ExpLock activated.  What about your other cb's? Locked?  Check FactorTrust and the other less familar cb's too.  I found a declined loan was attempted for me on FactorTrust. (affiliated with either TU or Eq....forgot)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 9
creatorprime
Valued Member

Thank you I'll look into that and even know there was others

the police did not ask for any information other than for me to contact Experian and try to get the bank or company that this agency try to take the loan out with that's all the information they wanted from me

Message 5 of 9
creatorprime
Valued Member

Thank you for the advice I'm going to do my best to reach out to the attorney general's office and reach out to a consumer protection attorney thank you for letting me know about those

Message 6 of 9
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@creatorprime wrote:

Thank you for the advice I'm going to do my best to reach out to the attorney general's office and reach out to a consumer protection attorney thank you for letting me know about those

Having experience in this issue from way back in 2009 a year after a left go on my cards. I was getting INQ from these type of companies, at the time I didnt care since the damage was done. AG will prob say sorry we are looking for bigger fish to fry, the CFPB is a joke now-adays and will close a case once a company responds....Let us know what the consumer protection attorney says...Id like to know from a consumer rights how these companies can even do a hard INQ like that...

Message 7 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Fraud by a collection agency

@creatorprime:

1- I'm not convinced they were trying to apply for a loan under your credit. I think it's more likely they were just trying pull your credit report to see how good your credit is, the better your credit the more likely you will settle. Collection Agencies can place a collection on your report while it is locked, but they can not just pull your credit report as if you had applied for credit. The alert from Experian makes it sound like an app for credit, but they really can't tell the difference.

2- You say his claim that you owe a doctor $1,000 makes no sense because nothing hit your credit report, but do you remember going to a doctor or medical clinic in the past few years that could have resulted in that much of a bill? This guy has enough of your personal info to try to pull your credit report, and doctors/medical clinics typically ask for that info on a form when you visit.

3- It's possible this is just a complete scam, the guy somehow got your personal info. But identity thieves rarely try calling the victim to get them to pay an alleged debt, they just go on an app spree for credit and run up bills and disappear.

Message 8 of 9
creatorprime
Valued Member

Re: Fraud by a collection agency

part of the conversation at the end was:

me: you guys are a collection agency why not just tell me that from the get-go? you don't need to do all this. If I owe the money I'll pay

the person on the phone: Sir did I ask you for money? 

me: No you didn't

The person on the phone: I didn't ask you for any kind of money at all during this call. We have the right to sue you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he said that in his angry tone of voice. It struck me wrong. Why not just collect if I owe. I do not remember going to the doctor's office back in 2015. If I had just show me some kind of proof and I'll be more then happy to pay my bills. My credit is excellent. I want to keep it that way.

For the most part 750+ across all 3. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.