Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud on my Penfed checking/debit card

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Fraud on my Penfed checking/debit card

Oh brother, this morning I login to Penfed and immediately notice my checking account is around $40 less than it should be, so I check the activity: 8 pending debit card transactions, all for $1 from "Uber San Franciso", and 4 posted debit card transactions from today & yesterday - 3 from Uber Amsterdam &  1 from a Christian Audio. So I dig the debit card out of my sock drawer & check the phone # on the back hoping there's a special # for lost/stolen - nope just the main Penfed #. So I call, takes at least 15 minutes to get a live person. The rep verifies the fraudulent charges are all debit card transactions. That's a relief to me as my Penfed checking account is one of my primary banking accounts, I have payments scheduled to debit the account.

I verify to the rep the last valid transaction is 9/14 for $700+ from PayPal, a payment on my PayPal MC. Rep tells me she has deactivated the debit card and will order a new one for me. I tell her "NO! Do NOT send me a new debit card, I do NOT want a debit card!". She agrees, and transfers me to the Fraud Dept. The Fraud Dept. Rep has me verify any fraudulent charges and rattles off a bunch I didn't see on my account as they were declined or a $0 amount. So I ask: "So why wasn't a fraud alert issued? I haven't used my debit card since June, on Amazon". She ignores the question and asks if I use the debit card on Apple Pay or Google Pay, or have it stored for payments online. I tell her "No, I don't use mobile payments and I don't pay anything with debit card, I use credit cards with $0 fraud liability." So she tells me the fraudulent charges will be reversed and if I want a new debit card I need to call back & request one, I repeat I do not want one. 

So, I'm not impressed with Penfed, from the charge attempts the Fraud Dept. Rep told me that I couilldn't there were around 20 attempts to charge the debit card, that should caused a fraud alert and temporary suspension of the card. The only other card fraud I've had was 5 or 6 years ago on a Citi Best Buy MC and they made an automated telephone call to my mobile to verify the attempted 3rd fraudulent charge, which when I responded was not valid they shut the card down. And the only time I ever used the Penfed debit card was 5 Amazon 50+ cent gift card reloads to meet part of the $200 checking bonus. And Penfed doesn't let you deactivate/suspend the debit card online, which I always do on other banks when available.

How the heck do these fraudsters get your debit card#? Again the only time I used it was in June for Amazon gift card reloads, and I removed it from Amazon stored payment cards once the charges posted on Penfed.

Oh well, could have been much worse. I have a habit on checking on my all bank accounts once or twice a week, part of my morning routine while slugging down coffee. Hope your day goes better. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fraud on my Penfed checking/debit card

I also had Uber fraud on my PenFed debit card show up last week. It was only a $1 auth for Uber that didn't go through. I've never once used Uber. I called PenFed and have a new card being sent.

I only used the card 5 times in late May/Early June for the checking bonus. I did not use mine on Amazon, just at the local market and gas station. Obviously something is up with PenFed debit cards.

Message 2 of 9
OmarR
Established Contributor

Like you, I also use credit cards for everything. Because of that, I block/freeze all of my USAA (my main bank) checking account debit cards except for one. I carry that one unfrozen debit card with a penny loaded on it, and I transfer money on the fly (via app) if I ever need to pull out any cash. This rarely ever happens.

Does Penfed offer the ability to replicate what I do? If not, they would not be my main bank as of yesterday.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 3 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also had Uber fraud on my PenFed debit card show up last week. It was only a $1 auth for Uber that didn't go through. I've ne.40ver once used Uber. I called PenFed and have a new card being sent.

I only used the card 5 times in late May/Early June for the checking bonus. I did not use mine on Amazon, just at the local market and gas station. Obviously something is up with PenFed debit cards.

Interesting. I've never used Uber either and don't know how it works, maybe you can load credits on your account, because I had a bunch of Uber $1 authorizations. Those have now gone away, but I still have 3 Uber charges that say "pending" and "Uber Amsterdam", for $9.40, $6.70 & $9.55. Those look like charges for rides, and to pay for an Uber ride I would think you would have to hand a driver a physical card and fraudsters usually don't go to the trouble of making a physical card, the fraud is usually detected quickly and the card cancelled too quickly to make it worthwhile.

I'll keep an eye for more reports of fraud on Penfed debit cards.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe for Uber everything is paid on the app, so there's no handing a card to the driver.

Per the PenFed CSR, my $1 charge was for authorization, but it didn't go through. Sounds like they tried your card number a few times and got it to work.

Message 5 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Glad you caught it early!! No alert would irk me too, along without the ability to lock it.

Debit cards I keep in a safe. Locked on account.

Message 6 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

Like you, I also use credit cards for everything. Because of that, I block/freeze all of my USAA (my main bank) checking account debit cards except for one. I carry that one unfrozen debit card with a penny loaded on it, and I transfer money on the fly (via app) if I ever need to pull out any cash. This rarely ever happens.

Does Penfed offer the ability to replicate what I do? If not, they would not be my main bank as of yesterday.

No, Penfed doesn't have the abilility to freeze/unfreeze, that's why told them not to issue me a new one. Most other banks I use to have the freeze/unfreeze so I freeze them all and keep them in a desk drawer. Like you I do carry one, BBVA bank which has freeze/unfreeze. I get a couple cash reimbursements monthly and the BBVA branch ATM takes cash deposits and even tell you how many bills of different denominations, so I unfreeze via mobile app when I'm going to stop by an ATM to deposit, then refreeze.

If banks are serious about fraud they all should have a freeze function on their websites & apps for debit cards, that's a dangerous backdoor directly into your bank account.

Message 7 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I just had my PenFed Gold card closed due to fraud and it is sitting in my safe.

PenFed actually notified me.

I will never have or use an ATM or debit card because of this.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 9
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Sorry you were hit with this OP, hopefully it all gets sorted quickly! 

The Uber fraud is rampant, most likely those weren't actually people taking real rides.  The scam uses fake accounts and fake rides, GPS spoofing is part of it, and stolen credit cards.  Some of these are people trying to bilk Uber out of money, some are actually criminals who pay with stolen credit cards in an elborate scheme to launder money.  These are called "ghost rides". 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.